Posted to alt.home.repair

Default zipper slider replacement success, how to prevent future happenings?

Well, just to update my prior thread on possible zipper slider
replacement, the Sailrite coil zipper slider arrived today and within
minutes my coat was now zippering properly again! Luckily, I saved the
zipper stop from the end and then just clamped it around the top once
again with the needle nose pliers. My sincere thanks to groups members
who kindly tried to help, much appreciated!

Now, a new question, when I wash & dry this and my other coat(s), how do
I prevent the same zipper slider detachments, lost zipper slider
handles, etc? I picked up a washing bag recently, but seems a little
small (15 x 18 inch I believe), but not sure that's the answer and not
sure about the dryer. I have read in the past that coats should be
fully zipped up while washing or drying but on something like my puff
jacket, I have to dry it twice if I dry zipped up. Sorry, lots of
questions squeezed in here.

Thanks in advance!
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Jim Horton wrote:

I have read in the past that coats should be
fully zipped up while washing or drying but on something like my puff
jacket, I have to dry it twice if I dry zipped up.

Jim-

I have never heard that coats should be dried zipped. If that were
true, then ANYTHING with a zipper would need to be zipped!

Was it just one bad zipper, or have you had it happen other times? I do
not recall ever having a zipper go bad that way.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 1 Nov 2019 17:27:18 -0400, Jim Horton
wrote:

Now, a new question, when I wash & dry this and my other coat(s), how do
I prevent the same zipper slider detachments, lost zipper slider
handles, etc? I picked up a washing bag recently, but seems a little
small (15 x 18 inch I believe), but not sure that's the answer and not
sure about the dryer.

No, that bag is for girl's undewear, and angora sweaters. I think I had
some men's thing I used such a bag for but not a coat.

I have read in the past that coats should be
fully zipped up while washing or drying but on something like my puff
jacket, I have to dry it twice if I dry zipped up. Sorry, lots of
questions squeezed in here.

I never dry anything except at the coldest temperature (not counting air
only.) Even the lowest temp seems pretty hot to me. Ithink hotter
than that may ruin sta-press and other things, and it doesn't take very
long even at the low temp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 01 Nov 2019 21:31:35 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Horton wrote:

I have read in the past that coats should be
fully zipped up while washing or drying but on something like my puff
jacket, I have to dry it twice if I dry zipped up.

Jim-

I have never heard that coats should be dried zipped. If that were
true, then ANYTHING with a zipper would need to be zipped!

I've heard that for other things, not sure why.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/clo...laundry-261264
https://lifehacker.com/zip-your-pant...ote-1707731529
and there are more.

Oh, it's to protect the other clothes from being snagged or ripped by
the zipper.

Was it just one bad zipper, or have you had it happen other times? I do
not recall ever having a zipper go bad that way.

Me neither. I've had teeth come lose from the side, but never a problem
with the slider. Although they do sell replacements so maybe I don't
wear enough zippers to gather good data.

Fred

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Nov 2019 17:21:29 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 01 Nov 2019 21:31:35 -0400, Fred McKenzie
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Horton wrote:

[...]

I have had both brass and nylonzipper sliders go on coats in
particular.Leather jacket (brass) and 2 winter "parkas" - both Nylon
IIRC. Paid to fix the brass one and bought repair tabs for the nylon.