Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Chain cleaning

I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/19 2:52 PM, A K wrote:
I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Thanks,
Andy

Head on down to your local bike shop where you'll find several shelves
of specifically-formulated sprays to clean bike chains. Pick the one in
the prettiest can- or maybe the cheapest one- or ask the bike repair guy
which one is best and buy it.

Save your paint thinner for cleaning paint brushes...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/2/19 1:52 PM, A K wrote:
I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Thanks,
Andy

The rec.motorcycles group or uk.rec.motorcycles group will have
an answer.
I don't remember what I used when I rode motorcycles with actual chains.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/02/2019 12:52 PM, A K wrote:
I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Motorcycle or bicycle? I tend to use 'bike' very loosely which can lead
to confusion. Anyway two of the motorcycles and both bicycles have
chains. For the bicycle;

https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-CM-.../dp/B00094CWA8

I have this model's predecessor and it works well. I'm not fond of the
citrus based degreaser although it does smell good. Simple Green is just
as good. The whole procedure is a lot less messier particularly if you
have a bike work stand. I've been through a lot of lubes but have pretty
much settled on Boeshield.

For the motorcycles I use kerosene and a tooth brush. Every time I see
my dentist she gives me a toothbrush... I have been lubing with 90w
gear oil but have been trying Motul spray this summer. It goes on white
which is handy and doesn't fling off as much.

In any case, I wouldn't use paint thinner.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A K wrote:
I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do
I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Thanks,
Andy

If I wanted to do that I would probably use brake cleaner to remove.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 9:55:22 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 09/02/2019 12:52 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

I use White Lightning Easy Lube to lube my chain. It is a dry lube.

Greases and oils attract dirt.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/02/2019 12:52 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

What about using graphite powder.

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On 09/02/2019 12:52 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

Graphite powder would probably work but it is real messy.

And much more expensive.

Andy