Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need Threaded 3/8" to 1/4" Stem Reducer for Casters

I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to use
for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I have some
1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use
them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4"
threaded reducer for casters? TIA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:33:35 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to use
for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I have some
1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use
them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4"
threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

IDK, I googled a bit and all I found were reducing bushings for pipe threads.
Never saw one for bolt threads either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2019 8:34 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:33:35 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to use
for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I have some
1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use
them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4"
threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

IDK, I googled a bit and all I found were reducing bushings for pipe threads.
Never saw one for bolt threads either.

Look for 3/8 to 1/4 tripod thread adapter...they've fairly common for
camera tripods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2019 4:33 PM, M. L. wrote:
I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to use
for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I have some
1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use
them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4"
threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

You might find a "thread insert" somewhere that does it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 30 Jun 2019 06:34:55 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:33:35 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to use
for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I have some
1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use
them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4"
threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

IDK, I googled a bit and all I found were reducing bushings for pipe threads.
Never saw one for bolt threads either.

If he wasn't set on using the ones he has, 3/8" casters are not that
expensive. I don't think I would screw around with something that can
get as heavy as a shelving unit can.
If he never wanted to take the casters off I suppose he could pack the
hole with JB Weld. Be sure to work some in the threads of the caster
too. Just be sure the casters are straight before it cures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, June 28, 2019 at 7:33:35 PM UTC-4, M. L. wrote:
I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to use
for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I have some
1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use
them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4"
threaded reducer for casters? TIA.
IDK, I googled a bit and all I found were reducing bushings for pipe threads.
Never saw one for bolt threads either.

If he wasn't set on using the ones he has, 3/8" casters are not that
expensive. I don't think I would screw around with something that can
get as heavy as a shelving unit can.
If he never wanted to take the casters off I suppose he could pack the
hole with JB Weld. Be sure to work some in the threads of the caster
too. Just be sure the casters are straight before it cures.

Â* He just needs to pop for some 3/8" shank casters . There's not enough
difference in diameter to cut threads both on the inside and outside .
JBWeld might work if he can keep it from running out the other end .

I bet if you cut some paper washers the top of the caster would hold
the JB up there until it cured, with the casters down on the ground.
The only issue is they might tilt on you if you can't block up the
shelves to the right height so there is minimal load on them or tie
them up with wire.. The extra JB flowing down would fill the cavity
quite nicely as long as both surfaces were primed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/7/19 1:47 am, Bob F wrote:
On 6/28/2019 4:33 PM, M. L. wrote:
I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to
use for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I
have some 1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a
way to use them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a
3/8" to 1/4" threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

You might find a "thread insert" somewhere that does it.

You would find the pitch incorrect then. Far better to just get some
correct size, not to mention load capacity, 3/8" castors and wait until
you have an appropriate use for the 1/4" castors

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to use
for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I have some
1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use
them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4"
threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

Look for 3/8 to 1/4 tripod thread adapter...they've fairly common for
camera tripods.

Thanks for the heads-up. The following is what I found:

3/8"-16 male to 1/4"-20 female thread adapter

5 for $0.76/eBay (China)
5 for $3.63/eBay (USA)
https://i.imgur.com/zNQsbyQ.jpg

Unfortunately I jumped the gun and purchased four 3/8" diameter stem
casters for $15.99 on eBay. But at least I still have my 1/4" stem
casters, and at least I know that stem adapters/inserts are a thing.
Thanks to all who replied.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to
use for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I
have some 1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a
way to use them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a
3/8" to 1/4" threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

You might find a "thread insert" somewhere that does it.

Yes, that's exactly what I found. I listed the pricing in another
thread. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to use
for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I have some
1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a way to use
them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a 3/8" to 1/4"
threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

IDK, I googled a bit and all I found were reducing bushings for pipe threads.
Never saw one for bolt threads either.

If he wasn't set on using the ones he has, 3/8" casters are not that
expensive. I don't think I would screw around with something that can
get as heavy as a shelving unit can.

Sorry, didn't intend to mislead. The 3/8" chrome pipes are part of a
desk kit, which won't be taking on heavy loads.
http://bit.ly/2FJK7t6

I ended up buying four 3/8" casters on eBay for $15.99. But I appreciate
the fact that someone actually makes threaded stem reducers. And they're
very cheap. https://i.imgur.com/zNQsbyQ.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have chrome shelving kit pipes with 3/8" threads that I'd like to
use for inserting casters instead of the levelers it comes with. I
have some 1/4" thread casters lying around and would like to find a
way to use them with the 3/8" threading. Is there such a thing as a
3/8" to 1/4" threaded reducer for casters? TIA.

You might find a "thread insert" somewhere that does it.

You would find the pitch incorrect then. Far better to just get some
correct size, not to mention load capacity, 3/8" castors and wait until
you have an appropriate use for the 1/4" castors

I found thread inserts to be so cheap that it would have been worth the
risk to see if they'd fit. But as you suggested, I ended up buying four
3/8" casters.