Posted to alt.home.repair

Default light bulbs voltage, wattage and heat

Do a 5W 12 volt light bulb and a 5W 110 volt light bulb (same type) give
off same amount of heat? In other words, for same type of bulbs, does
voltage affect the amount of heat given off?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/19 11:56 PM, Oumati Asami wrote:
Do a 5W 12 volt light bulb and a 5W 110 volt light bulb (same type) give
off same amount of heat? In other words, for same type of bulbs, does
voltage affect the amount of heat given off?

"Theoretically" (watch the weasel word) they should give off the
same heat, providing their "efficiency" is the same. A good
test of this wold be if they gave of the same lumens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/19 2:56 AM, Oumati Asami wrote:
Do a 5W 12 volt light bulb and a 5W 110 volt light bulb (same type) give off same amount of heat? In other words, for same type of bulbs, does voltage affect the amount of heat given off?

Cents both light bulbs are 5 whats, dey both produce abut 17 btus/hr.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 19:13:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yep

Yep, you ARE a senile trolling asshole!

Nope.

Nope, you AREN'T right in the head, senile pest!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:26:14 +0630, Oumati Asami wrote:

Do a 5W 12 volt light bulb and a 5W 110 volt light bulb (same type) give
off same amount of heat? In other words, for same type of bulbs, does
voltage affect the amount of heat given off?

Voltage (V) = Energy per charge

Current (I) = Charge per second

Power (W) = V * I = Energy per second

Hence, devices that consume the same power will dissipate the
same energy.

The difference between the two bulbs that you mention is
that one bulb (110 volt) will produce the same energy using
less current.

The only question is the form of the dissipated energy.

In the case of of an incandescent filament (light bulb)
all energy is radiant energy (light), but a portion of the
radiant energy can be infrared light (heat) and a portion
can be visible light. An incandescent bulb radiates a lot
of infrared but the exact proportion depends on the type
of incandescent bulb.

But there are other ways to produce light: LED, florescent,
etc. Only "bulbs" of the same type can be meaningfully
compared.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18/06/19 17:46, F. Russell wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:26:14 +0630, Oumati Asami wrote:

Do a 5W 12 volt light bulb and a 5W 110 volt light bulb (same type) give
off same amount of heat? In other words, for same type of bulbs, does
voltage affect the amount of heat given off?

Voltage (V) = Energy per charge

Current (I) = Charge per second

Power (W) = V * I = Energy per second

Hence, devices that consume the same power will dissipate the
same energy.

The difference between the two bulbs that you mention is
that one bulb (110 volt) will produce the same energy using
less current.

Does that mean I would save electricity bill by using 110 v bulbs than
12 v bulbs? I was going to buy 12 12v bulbs but now I may buy 110 v
ones. That brings up another question. Why were the 12 v spot lights
installed in the first place? They need a transformer to work. So, they
are intrinsically more expensive to begin with. It seems to me 110v
lights should have been installed in the first place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/18/19 6:36 PM, Oumati Asami wrote:
[...]

You also have a conversion loss getting the 110v to 12v.

If memory serves me, some halogen bulbs burn better at 12V.
That may be why
Posted to alt.home.repair

[answers interspersed]

Do a 5W 12 volt light bulb and a 5W 110 volt light bulb (same type) give
off same amount of heat? In other words, for same type of bulbs, does
voltage affect the amount of heat given off?

short answer, no. (but see the longer one later).

5 watts of energy going through the bulb leads to 5 watts
of heat in the room. The part that's converted to light
turns to heat once it hits the objects it illuminates,
so aside from any going out the window, it all
behaves the same.

Now the longer part: it's quite possible that one of the
lamps (the proper name for what people call bulbs..) is
more efficient than the other in creating light.

Hence... you might get the same amount of usable illumination
from a 4 watt lamp, or from five of them instead of six
of the other. And that reduction in fixtures would reduce
the heat a notch.

Does that mean I would save electricity bill by using 110 v bulbs than
12 v bulbs? I was going to buy 12 12v bulbs but now I may buy 110 v
ones.

Nope. The "current" (amperage) is less in the higher voltage
lamp, but the net wattage is the same. (watts = volts time amps)

That brings up another question. Why were the 12 v spot lights
installed in the first place? They need a transformer to work. So, they
are intrinsically more expensive to begin with. It seems to me 110v
lights should have been installed in the first place.

12V wiring is easier and safer to work with. You're not going
start fires (well, not easily) or get zapped off the ladder
if you touch the live wire...

No need for an electrician, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oumati Asami" wrote in message
On 18/06/19 17:46, F. Russell wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:26:14 +0630, Oumati Asami wrote:

Do a 5W 12 volt light bulb and a 5W 110 volt light bulb (same type) give
off same amount of heat? In other words, for same type of bulbs, does
voltage affect the amount of heat given off?

Voltage (V) = Energy per charge

Current (I) = Charge per second

Power (W) = V * I = Energy per second

Hence, devices that consume the same power will dissipate the
same energy.

The difference between the two bulbs that you mention is
that one bulb (110 volt) will produce the same energy using
less current.

Does that mean I would save electricity bill by using 110 v bulbs than 12
v bulbs?

Nope, you pay for watts, not current.

I was going to buy 12 12v bulbs but now I may buy 110 v ones.

That brings up another question. Why were the 12 v spot lights installed
in the first place? They need a transformer to work. So, they are
intrinsically more expensive to begin with.

Those are quartz iodide bulbs, easier to do 12V

It seems to me 110v lights should have been installed in the first place.

It more complicated than that with the bulbs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 12:46:54 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Does that mean I would save electricity bill by using 110 v bulbs than 12
v bulbs?

Nope, you pay for watts, not current.

Once again: that was already answered! Just what in hell makes you believe
anyone's answer will only be valid when YOU confirm it, you
self-opinionated, self-important senile asshole?

--
Marland revealing the senile sociopath's pathology:
"You have mentioned Alexa in a couple of threads recently, it is not a real
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 9:36:51 PM UTC-4, Oumati Asami wrote:
On 18/06/19 17:46, F. Russell wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 13:26:14 +0630, Oumati Asami wrote:

Do a 5W 12 volt light bulb and a 5W 110 volt light bulb (same type) give
off same amount of heat? In other words, for same type of bulbs, does
voltage affect the amount of heat given off?

Voltage (V) = Energy per charge

Current (I) = Charge per second

Power (W) = V * I = Energy per second

Hence, devices that consume the same power will dissipate the
same energy.

The difference between the two bulbs that you mention is
that one bulb (110 volt) will produce the same energy using
less current.

Does that mean I would save electricity bill by using 110 v bulbs than
12 v bulbs?

IDK where 110v came from, in the US standard is 120V.
You would save a little using line voltage bulbs, because the power
supply for 12v will have some small losses in it. I think the main
attraction for low voltage indoor lighting is for places where line
voltage wiring requirements would make it difficult to install,
eg for light under kitchen cabinets.

I was going to buy 12 12v bulbs but now I may buy 110 v
ones.

How are you going to put a 110V bulb in a socket powered with 12V?

That brings up another question. Why were the 12 v spot lights
installed in the first place? They need a transformer to work. So, they
are intrinsically more expensive to begin with. It seems to me 110v
lights should have been installed in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 10:07:30 PM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
[answers interspersed]

[...]

But there is also some small loss in the power supply to create
the 12 volts.

That brings up another question. Why were the 12 v spot lights
installed in the first place? They need a transformer to work. So, they
are intrinsically more expensive to begin with. It seems to me 110v
lights should have been installed in the first place.

12V wiring is easier and safer to work with. You're not going
start fires (well, not easily) or get zapped off the ladder
if you touch the live wire...

No need for an electrician, etc.

That would depend on your skills and local code. Low voltage wiring is
covered in the NEC. If you don't know what you're doing, you can still
create a situation that will burn the house down.