Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What Length Ceiling Fan Downrod For a 19' Ceiling?

We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16 off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together? please help!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 12:21:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16 off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together? please help!!

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Assuming they are threaded and
you can use a coupling, then sure, I don't see why not. If you're worried
that it might somehow come loose, you can put some blue or red loctite on the
threads before assembling it. I guess you'd have to paint the coupling
so it matches, unless they have ones painted for that purpose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/7/19 12:36 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 12:21:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16 off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together? please help!!

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Assuming they are threaded and
you can use a coupling, then sure, I don't see why not. If you're worried
that it might somehow come loose, you can put some blue or red loctite on the
threads before assembling it. I guess you'd have to paint the coupling
so it matches, unless they have ones painted for that purpose.

Another option to secure the pipe would be the lock rings used for
electrical fittings. Using both would be better.