DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   What Length Ceiling Fan Downrod For a 19' Ceiling? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/636474-what-length-ceiling-fan-downrod-19-ceiling.html)

[email protected] June 7th 19 05:21 PM

What Length Ceiling Fan Downrod For a 19' Ceiling?

We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16 off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together? please help!!

Oren[_2_] June 7th 19 06:29 PM

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 09:21:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16 off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together? please help!!

I think you mean 14-16 feet above the ground. Is there a fan box in
the ceiling now? A 96 inch fan is big and relatively heavy. You
might be able to have a single down rod fabricated.

I'd talk to the folks the make the fan and follow their advice. YMMY

trader_4 June 7th 19 06:36 PM

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 12:21:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16 off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together? please help!!

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Assuming they are threaded and
you can use a coupling, then sure, I don't see why not. If you're worried
that it might somehow come loose, you can put some blue or red loctite on the
threads before assembling it. I guess you'd have to paint the coupling
so it matches, unless they have ones painted for that purpose.

[email protected] June 10th 19 06:15 AM

What Length Ceiling Fan Downrod For a 19' Ceiling?

On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 09:21:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16
off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it
safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together?
please help!!

That sounds very dangerous.

A few years ago a man lifted his infant son above his shoulders. He did
not think about the ceiling fan above. That infants head was decapitated
immediately. And that was just a normal home fan. Not an aircraft
propeller like you have. Sell that killer fan for scrap metal and buy an
air conditioner.

Pipistril June 10th 19 10:48 AM

wrote:

We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16
off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it
safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together?
please help!!

That sounds very dangerous.

A few years ago a man lifted his infant son above his shoulders. He did
not think about the ceiling fan above. That infants head was decapitated
immediately. And that was just a normal home fan. Not an aircraft
propeller like you have. Sell that killer fan for scrap metal and buy an
air conditioner.

It'll be fine.* Just holler "clear prop" before you turn it on!

Dean Hoffman[_12_] June 10th 19 01:11 PM

On 6/7/19 12:36 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 12:21:24 PM UTC-4, wrote:
We have 28 foot ceilings and want our 96 fan to hang at about 14-16 off the ground. That means we need a downrod length of 12-14 ft. Is it safe to buy two long (6 or 7 ft) downrods and couple them together? please help!!

I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Assuming they are threaded and
you can use a coupling, then sure, I don't see why not. If you're worried
that it might somehow come loose, you can put some blue or red loctite on the
threads before assembling it. I guess you'd have to paint the coupling
so it matches, unless they have ones painted for that purpose.

Another option to secure the pipe would be the lock rings used for
electrical fittings. Using both would be better.