Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED Ceiling Lights Flicker

There are six LED lights in the ceiling of the kitchen. Occasionally, they all dim briefly so I suspect a Lutron dimmer is faulty. There are two of these, one in the kitchen and one in the adjacent dining room. The lights dim whichever switch is used to turn on the lights but I wonder if both switches are operational at the same time regardless of which one is used to turn on the lights. If so, I imagine that just replacing the bad switch will solve the problem and save a few bucks.

Is there a way to figure out which switch is bad or should both dimmers be replaced at the same time? If the latter, how do I determine which one is the master?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2019 6:31 AM, Bob Simon wrote:
There are six LED lights in the ceiling of the kitchen. Occasionally, they all dim briefly so I suspect a Lutron dimmer is faulty. There are two of these, one in the kitchen and one in the adjacent dining room. The lights dim whichever switch is used to turn on the lights but I wonder if both switches are operational at the same time regardless of which one is used to turn on the lights. If so, I imagine that just replacing the bad switch will solve the problem and save a few bucks.

Is there a way to figure out which switch is bad or should both dimmers be replaced at the same time? If the latter, how do I determine which one is the master?

The problem is likely a motor or other surge start device turning on. I
could even be at a neighboring house that shares your transformer.

I would think that one of the switches is the dimmer, and the other is
just a switch to operate it remotely. Removing the switch plates should
make that obvious.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 8:56:11 AM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
[...]

The AC turns on intermittently so it could be the cause. I'll try to correlate the events.

Thanks for the tip!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/19 9:31 AM, Bob Simon wrote:
There are six LED lights in the ceiling of the kitchen. Occasionally, they all dim briefly so I suspect a Lutron dimmer is faulty. There are two of these, one in the kitchen and one in the adjacent dining room. The lights dim whichever switch is used to turn on the lights but I wonder if both switches are operational at the same time regardless of which one is used to turn on the lights. If so, I imagine that just replacing the bad switch will solve the problem and save a few bucks.

Is there a way to figure out which switch is bad or should both dimmers be replaced at the same time? If the latter, how do I determine which one is the master?

Ditch the variable dimmer switch.

I had a very similar flickering kitchen LED 6-can situation on a single
Lutron dimmer that I solved for 68 cents at Home Depot. With you needing
two three-ways, it will probably run a few bucks more- still not much
more than coffee money though

Never used the stupid dimmer in the first place- though it required some
wife-convincing before I did it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-02W/100026991

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen victim tragedy
stories in the news?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 6, 2019 at 9:31:35 AM UTC-4, Bob Simon wrote:
There are six LED lights in the ceiling of the kitchen. Occasionally, they all dim briefly so I suspect a Lutron dimmer is faulty. There are two of these, one in the kitchen and one in the adjacent dining room. The lights dim whichever switch is used to turn on the lights but I wonder if both switches are operational at the same time regardless of which one is used to turn on the lights. If so, I imagine that just replacing the bad switch will solve the problem and save a few bucks.

Is there a way to figure out which switch is bad or should both dimmers be replaced at the same time? If the latter, how do I determine which one is the master?

It's been years since I fiddled with those, but I think they are different
parts, one being the actual dimmer, the others being slaves that can control
it. I'd try replacing the master first. If it's just momentary dimming,
is it possible it's in reaction to a voltage drop from some other load
coming on or a loose connection somewhere? Any other indications of a
voltage issue in the house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/6/2019 1:25 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

First, are LEDs rated dimmable? Second, there should not be 2 dimmers
in the 3 way circuit; one should be a regular 3 way switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 8:16:18 AM UTC-4, Art Todesco wrote:
[...]

He has Lutron widgets. They use a master that's the dimmer, unlimited
number of slaves that just communicate over a wire so that you can
control them from multiple locations. You can also have remotes.
They really are cool. If leaving a room, you can push and hold the
button for a few secs and set the turn off time, so that the lights
will stay on for 30 secs or so, while you exit.

I see some weird things with LEDs here a bit too. I have some on a
regular dimmer and it seems every once in awhile they get permanently
dimmer, until I move the slide control and adjust them again. It's
probably all related to the very low draw LEDs have compared to the
normal load that a dimmer expects.

Oh, back to the Lutron stuff. I just remembered that they have different
dimmers for different power supplies that drive various lights.
I think they have one for magnetic, one for capacitive, one for
something else..... Oh my, this all gets complicated.