Old May 15th 19, 08:24 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default How to keep sound on when backing up.

micky wrote:
The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
stop that.

If something important is on the radio, I have to park until it is over
before I back up or find some place where I can make a U-turn. It's
ridiculous.

The key to my Mazda 2 was stolen, so the rentacar company gave me a 2019
Honda.

This one has a backup camera, which turns off the sound whenever I back
up. It doesn't make it easier to back up, and the other car I once
drove didn't do that.

If it matters, I'll get the model (which is not displayed in the car.
Apparently it's a secret, but maybe it's on the outside), but the car is
outside (I didn't bring it in with me) so maybe the model doesn't
matter.

Part of the Honda Distracted Driver Safety System. Unless you can access
the developer menu in the system using a scan tool and dealer code it
cannot be turned off.

Old May 15th 19, 08:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 15 May 2019 15:26:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I would also imagine that if the radio volume was to automatically reduce
to below bleeding-ears level when backing up, the driver would most likely
be able to hear little Suzie screaming "DADDY, STOP!!!!".

Yeah spose so.

You obviously also spose that you don't have to change your nym yet with
that one, you 85-year-old trolling senile asshole! tsk

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Old May 15th 19, 10:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 5/14/19 3:55 PM, micky wrote:
According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have cut by
only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of times someone
backs into a person.

Most people are too stupid to use a turn signal.* You expect them to use a back up camera?

Old May 15th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 22:53:44 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 5/14/2019 3:44 PM, micky wrote:
In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 13:51:10 -0400, Meanie
wrote:

On 5/14/2019 12:06 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Do you drive backwards? What's the amount of time you back up...? 15, 30
seconds tops? You're seriously concerned about something important on
the radio you need to stop for 30 seconds of backing up?

Do you ever listen to a serious discussion show, or anything other than
music? The loss of 20 seconds can distort or cloud everything the
person says.

I'd hate to see you when a real crisis arises.

Don't be silly.

What's silly is thinking that because I want to solve a small problem, I
wouldn't want to solve (and be good at solving) big problems. It works
the opposite way. People who let themselves be thumped by little
problems also get thumped by big ones.

LMAO! You're concerned about 20 second segment you "may" miss due to

I know darn well that every time I had to go in reverse since I've had
this car (7 days) I've missed what the speaker was saying. Five times
a day at least, and when exploring back woods and desert roads with dead
ends and move civilized places with parking spots more like 15 or 20
times a day. If I owned the car for 5 years, just using 5 times a day,
that's 9000 times.

I guess when life gives you problems and inconveniences, you just let
life push you around. I don't. I like to make my life better. But you
can just suck it up if you want.

backing up a car which I'm sure isn't often and you call me silly. LMAO!
That's funny.

Old May 15th 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In rec.autos.tech, on Tue, 14 May 2019 21:45:48 -0700, Sanity Clause
wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:

micky wrote:
According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have
cut by only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of
times someone backs into a person.

I imagine those 10% are happy about it.

Specially the ones that have avoided killing their little kids
who have been run over like that. I actually know one person who
managed to do that.

I would also imagine that if the radio volume was to automatically
reduce to below bleeding-ears level when backing up, the driver would
most likely be able to hear little Suzie screaming "DADDY, STOP!!!!".

That's a good point, and if there had been any small children around in
the tens of 1000's of times I've backed up over the last decade, for
example, it would apply to me. But there haven't been.

Old May 15th 19, 05:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In rec.autos.tech, on Wed, 15 May 2019 03:24:22 -0400, "Steve W."
wrote:

micky wrote:
[...]

Well I can't on a rental car, or while traveling. Oh well, it was worth
asking. But if Toyota has anything like it, I do have the ability to
set those hidden settings.

After a bunch of work, I got it to work on my car at home, but it's a
2005 and it had very few settings, none of which I wanted to change.
Mostly things about combustion iirc that I'd be afraid to change. The
same software applies maybe to 2019 and beyond. OTOH, Toyota has
stopped making even moderate sized convertibles, which is part of why I
got a 2005 and not newer. Next car might be a Mazda Miata or Chrysler
300.
Old May 15th 19, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

In article , micky
wrote:

Specially the ones that have avoided killing their little kids
who have been run over like that. I actually know one person who
managed to do that.

I would also imagine that if the radio volume was to automatically
reduce to below bleeding-ears level when backing up, the driver would
most likely be able to hear little Suzie screaming "DADDY, STOP!!!!".

That's a good point, and if there had been any small children around in
the tens of 1000's of times I've backed up over the last decade, for
example, it would apply to me. But there haven't been.

that's because when anyone sees you driving, be it children or adults,
they get the hell away.
Old May 15th 19, 07:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

The 2019 Honda with the touchscreen that I am renting turns off the
radio/flashdrive/bluetooth sound whenever I back up. Is t here a way to
stop that.

You are information-adicted. Seek help -- but preferably not on the
Internet.

Old May 15th 19, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

On 5/15/19 12:01 PM, micky wrote:
I know darn well that every time I had to go in reverse since I've had
this car (7 days) I've missed what the speaker was saying. Five times
a day at least, and when exploring back woods and desert roads with dead
ends and move civilized places with parking spots more like 15 or 20
times a day. If I owned the car for 5 years, just using 5 times a day,
that's 9000 times.

I guess when life gives you problems and inconveniences, you just let
life push you around. I don't. I like to make my life better. But you
can just suck it up if you want.

You won't miss much while backing up.

Most radio stations are 50% commercials, 45% blah-blah-blah-fake-laugh-blah-blah-blah-fake-laugh-etc and 5% music.

Old May 15th 19, 07:28 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

wrote:

Rod Speed wrote:

micky wrote:
According to some newspaper article online, back up cameras have
cut by only 10 percent (in cars that have them) the number of
times someone backs into a person.

I imagine those 10% are happy about it.

Specially the ones that have avoided killing their little kids
who have been run over like that. I actually know one person who
managed to do that.

I would also imagine that if the radio volume was to automatically
reduce to below bleeding-ears level when backing up, the driver would
most likely be able to hear little Suzie screaming "DADDY, STOP!!!!".

That's a good point, and if there had been any small children around in
the tens of 1000's of times I've backed up over the last decade, for
example, it would apply to me. But there haven't been.

But its not feasible for the car to work out if you ever have any
little kids around and even if it could, doesn't cover the situation
where someone comes to visit with a little kid with them.

What would be a much better approach would be to allow the
radio to back up over what you missed automatically like some
TVs do. Still kill the audio when backing but continue on as if
there had been no quiet period when not backing anymore.