Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT AOC baffled by garbage disposal

On Wednesday, May 8, 2019 at 10:00:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wed, 08 May 2019 21:06:06 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 08 May 2019 20:01:43 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 08 May 2019 18:27:12 -0400,
wrote:

What do you pay for water?

$5.50 per cubic meter including sewer charge. That's just over 2 and a
half cents a gallon

$2.0833 but that is still a third more than what they get for city
water here.

Base rate $9.15 water, $17.02 sewer, $3.43 admin charge Total $29.60

First 6000 gallons water per 1000 $3.27 Sewer $5.85 Total
$9.12 per 1000

6001-9000 gallons water per 1000 $4.09 Sewer $5.85 Total
$9.94 per 1000

9001-12000 gallons water per 1000 $4.09

12001-18000 gallons water per 1000 $4.91

Over 18000 gallons water per 1000 $6.54

Example 6000 gallons in a month would cost 84.80 (1.4 cents a gallon)

... puny little wee American gallons ? :-)

John T.

Yup it is the "wee little gallons" and the great big American dollar
so maybe it is the same price as Clare pays.

Just kidding about the gallon.
I think using Clare's costs and converting units and currency ...
hmmm carry the eleven ... it's pretty close !
Imagine that ! Canukistan can compete ! :-)
John T.

Water is getting pretty expensive when you pay for it going both ways
and we ain't seen nothing yet. When they finally decide to clean up
the municipal sewer systems and when water really starts to be hard to
come by we will be reminiscing about the days when it was only a penny
and a half a gallon.
It does sort of blow away some of those arguments that say bottled
water is 1000 times what tap water is tho. A gallon of water at the
grocery store is 78 cents and it is certainly purer than what our city
sells us since it went through an R/O.

MOST city water is cleaner than MOST "bottled water" sold as "spring
water"

That may be true in a few cities but mostly in the North and far from
universal. Flint had city water. Now they are even finding that some
of those cities don't have the pristine water they were promised. They
have admitted that wonderful water in DC is contaminated with lead.
That may explain congress.

I agree, I find it hard to believe it's true. Would like to see some
proof. For one thing, you'd think that water that's traveled miles
or even a hundred miles in all kinds of piping would be more subject
to something getting in it than water that's bottled at a controlled
source. Also depends on what you mean by cleaner, that city water has
chlorine and maybe flouride added to it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most old cities, including DC, still have lead pipes in the system.
If they are taking water from a river, you need to look up stream. An
example would be the Susquehanna that flows from central New York to
the Chesapeake Bay where it is identified as a major source of
chemicals, heavy metal pollution and even nuclear material (from 3
mile island) yet cities along the way use it for drinking water.
The cities on the lower Mississippi are drinking sludge from over 50
cities up stream all the way to Minnesota and Chicago.