Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Exhaust vent

My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound. Is that dangerous? Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1181752-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Dec 2018 04:14:07 GMT, Eric T
m wrote:

My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound. Is that dangerous? Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

What would Jesus do?
Posted to alt.home.repair

news
m wrote:

My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound. Is that dangerous?
Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

What would Jesus do?

Turn water into wine and get ****ed and then get nailed up by the romans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric T wrote:
My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney,
touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound.Â* Is that
dangerous?Â* Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

Put something in so that nothing touches the gas line at all and
I don't see how you will have anything to worry about. I
wouldn't want anything bumping into my gas line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 15:21:57 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound. Is that dangerous?
Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

What would Jesus do?

Turn water into wine and get ****ed and then get nailed up by the romans.

Oh, no! Yet more geriatric "humour" by the resident senile cretin!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/18 11:14 PM, Eric T wrote:
My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound.Â* Is that dangerous?
Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

A very hot sheet metal tube against a gas line?

Make sure you've got the fire department's phone number on your speed
dialer ;-)

--
The day Al Gore was born, there were 7000 polar bears on Earth. Today,
only 26,000 remain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 11:14:11 PM UTC-5, Eric T wrote:
My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound. Is that dangerous? Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1181752-.htm

Use a bracket or two to move them apart, assuming there is enough free play
there. If they rattle there is rubbing and if it goes on long enough, it
could wear a hole, presumably in the thinner vent pipe. Sounds like a hack
installed it. Did it pass inspection like that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 8:39:00 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 12/3/18 11:14 PM, Eric T wrote:
My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound.Â* Is that dangerous?
Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

A very hot sheet metal tube against a gas line?

I'm sure there is a code that says you can't do that, but I don't see the
science whereby the heat from a home furnace exhaust next to a nat gas line
is going to cause a disaster. I guess you could
come up with a pathological case, where somehow with work on a line you
got the right mix of fuel and air in there, but even then, the exhaust
gas vent heat transferred to a section of gas pipe, isn't going to create
a temperature that's even close to the ignition range. Igniters in furnaces
glow red hot for a reason. It would be also near impossible to get air
and fuel in the pipe at the same time with the furnace running and without
the furnace running, the vent won't be hot.

I would use a bracket or two to move them apart, assuming there is enough
flex there. And check everything else, because whoever installed this,
is a hack.

Make sure you've got the fire department's phone number on your speed
dialer ;-)

--
The day Al Gore was born, there were 7000 polar bears on Earth. Today,
only 26,000 remain.

That sounds like another claim from some whacko source. From what I've read,
there is no real accurate count of polar bears, that we've only begun to
try to count them in recent years and the general scientific consensus is
that at this point some populations have declined, some have increased and
overall it's mixed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/18 11:14 PM, Eric T wrote:
My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound.Â* Is that dangerous?
Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

What kind of gas line is it? CSST, copper or black pipe?

What kind of exhaust vent? Double wall metal vent or PVC?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/18 11:14 PM, Eric T wrote:
[...]

Only potential problem I see is if they rubbed and eventually the
exhaust, usually thinner, would get a hole and allow fumes in.

A dozen years back we upgraded some gas boilers at work and the gas
company had to install a new larger meter. I will admit, I did not get
too close when they welded the gas supply pipes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/3/2018 8:14 PM, Eric T wrote:
My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound.Â* Is that dangerous?
Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

How warm does the gas pipe get where the exhaust pipe touches it?

You could fold a couple layers of fiberglass cloth and slide it between
them. Or just re-position the vent pipe a bit. Maybe just run a wire
around the vent and pull it away a bit to get rid of the rattle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/5/2018 10:40 AM, Bob F wrote:
On 12/3/2018 8:14 PM, Eric T wrote:
My gas furnace exhaust vent that runs through the chimney, touches the gas
feed line into furnace and makes a rattling sound.Â* Is that dangerous?Â* Can i
put something in between the two to eliminate the rattle

How warm does the gas pipe get where the exhaust pipe touches it?

You could fold a couple layers of fiberglass cloth and slide it between them. Or just re-position the vent pipe a bit. Maybe just run a wire around the vent and pull it away a bit to get rid of the rattle.

Did they teach you that at MIT?