Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Antenna TVs Making A Comeback?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 00:13:48 -0400, Bill wrote:

wrote:

My smart TV does You Tube and all of the streaming services

My Samsung TV ORIGINALLY supported YouTube on it's own. Then
Google updated it's technology, and evidently (!) no one was
interested in upgrading the software for the previously-sold
Samsung TVs. Lesson learned ("Don't buy a TV for its
software!"). That said, if yours ever stops, picking up Roku is a
quick and cheap fix. I wish I had found it sooner.

Welcome ot the modern internet. Those companies are dedicated to
screwing people, and forcing us to buy new computers, phones, and
software whenever they feel the urge.

There was a time my computer could still get the web via dialup, using
my computer with Windows 98. Since I can not get high speed internet
where I live (without a major expense for satellite service), I can only
get dialup. And since neither of my XP computers will not connect to
that dialup, via modem, I am stuck with my Win98 puter. Ever since
Google forced all websites to go "secure" (HTTPS), I can no longer load
websites.

My flipphone used to get the web too. It was limited, but I could get a
weather radar maps and look stuff up on Wikpedia, etc. Thats all gone
too. It wont even go on the web now.

You could not even give me a smartphone. I hate them complicated things.
I tried one for a brief time, and went back to my flipphone.

For a short while i would go to the local library to use the web, but
after a few visits, I found myself going back to the good old days of
reading books. Books always work, dont require upgrades, and dont flood
you with ads. The web was fine in its early days, but as far as I'm
concerned, it's gone now. That bothered me for awhile, but it was just a
passing craze. Kind of like the CB radio craze in the 70s. Now the web
is only for the wealthy and those who live in large cities. I no longer
miss the web. Soon the newsgroups will be dead too, and I am sure google
will find a way to take away our email abilities.

I learned ot go on with life, without the CB, I now learned to go on
without the web. Technology has a way of taking over our lives, until
some company (like google) finds a way to turn it into a money maker at
the expense of it's users. I get a huge laugh out of people who claim we
have "progress", which has made our lives better. *NOT*. Technology is
just another way of getting our money out of our wallets and making life
more complicated.

OTA (antenna( tv is likely to be gone soon too. We live in the day and
age of greed, and soon we will have to pay for all tv, and radio too.
Bit in the span of time I have been on this earth, I can still live
without all the technology. Or I can just listen to my vinyl records
using my old vacuum tube amplifier and be happy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/26/2018 03:56 PM, wrote:

[snip]

There was a time my computer could still get the web via dialup, using
my computer with Windows 98. Since I can not get high speed internet
where I live (without a major expense for satellite service), I can only
get dialup. And since neither of my XP computers will not connect to
that dialup, via modem, I am stuck with my Win98 puter.

The latest version of Windows I know I've used dialup on is Windows
2000. XP is very similar to 2000, and should work too.

Ever since
Google forced all websites to go "secure" (HTTPS), I can no longer load
websites.

They have not, and AFAIK they can't. Anyway, it (HTTPS) has nothing to
do with the type of connection. It's just the old browsers that run on
Win 98.

My flipphone used to get the web too. It was limited, but I could get a
weather radar maps and look stuff up on Wikpedia, etc. Thats all gone
too. It wont even go on the web now.

My flipphone just got a story from CNN.

You could not even give me a smartphone. I hate them complicated things.
I tried one for a brief time, and went back to my flipphone.

I wouldn't use a smartphone either.

[snip]

OTA (antenna( tv is likely to be gone soon too. We live in the day and
age of greed, and soon we will have to pay for all tv, and radio too.

You already pay for them. It's called "advertising". That works fine on
OTA (they just can't steal so much personal info).

[snip]

--
90 days until the winter celebration (Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:00:00 AM for 1
day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Tinnitus is a pain in the neck"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:17:36 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 19:28:30 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 15:56:04 -0500,
wrote:

There was a time my computer could still get the web via dialup, using
my computer with Windows 98. Since I can not get high speed internet
where I live (without a major expense for satellite service), I can only
get dialup. And since neither of my XP computers will not connect to
that dialup, via modem, I am stuck with my Win98 puter. Ever since
Google forced all websites to go "secure" (HTTPS), I can no longer load
websites.

Why won't your XP machine do dial up? I was on dial up on mine last
year during (hurricane) Irma.

Your guess is as good as mine. I've spent years trying to fix that, till
I just gave up trying. Actually it does "connect", but it keeps
disconnecting every 5 to 10 min. And when it is connected, it wont
transfer data after a few minutes. They call it the death spiral for
modems. Because the dialup is now included with the home phone service,
at no extra cost, It's there to use, but they offer no support at all,
and you dont get an email address. In other words, "you're on your own".
I thik the problem is on THEIR end, not mine. Sometimes I cant connect
at all for several days in a row on any computer. I think they shut off
their modems and forget to turn them back on.

They may have a resource problem. I was connecting through AOL and it
always works