Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rust preventative

I am trying to find rust cure by tri-win but I can't find it.

I am looking for a rust preventative that is similar.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2018 2:30 PM, Andy wrote:
rust cure by tri-win

Safety data sheet shows mainly 28% phosphoric acid. Look for something
with similar label.

http://www.rust-cure.com/safety-data-sheet
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/08/2018 04:58 PM, Frank wrote:
On 9/8/2018 2:30 PM, Andy wrote:
rust cure by tri-win

Safety data sheet shows mainly 28% phosphoric acid. Look for something
with similar label.

http://www.rust-cure.com/safety-data-sheet

You can find phosphoric acid in the masonry section of places like Home
Depot. It's used for etching concrete.

It has the advantage of attacking rust and not the base metal. It also
leaves a phosphate film on the material. Hydrochloric is more aggressive
and the surface tends to rust as soon as it dries out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 5:58:39 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 9/8/2018 2:30 PM, Andy wrote:
rust cure by tri-win

Safety data sheet shows mainly 28% phosphoric acid. Look for something
with similar label.

http://www.rust-cure.com/safety-data-sheet

Thanks for the info.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/8/2018 2:30 PM, Andy wrote:
rust cure by tri-win

Safety data sheet shows mainly 28% phosphoric acid. Look for something
with similar label.

http://www.rust-cure.com/safety-data-sheet

You can find phosphoric acid in the masonry section of places like Home
Depot. It's used for etching concrete.

It has the advantage of attacking rust and not the base metal. It also
leaves a phosphate film on the material. Hydrochloric is more aggressive
and the surface tends to rust as soon as it dries out.

Not sure about MetalPrep for steel, but for cleaning/etching aluminum
before painting -
"alumiprep" is available at autobody supply houses for about $60 a
gallon.
At my local plumbing supply I pickup a gallon of resin cleaner for my
water softener for about $20. Exactly the same composition -
phosphoric acid and a surfactant. Even the same percentages. (Rez
Care) (same as Pur Gard) (RezCare is about $17 on Amazpn)

I use it on steel too - but it doesn't contain any zinc so I get iron
phosphate but no zinc phosphate coating.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 11:30:39 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I am trying to find rust cure by tri-win but I can't find it.

I am looking for a rust preventative that is similar.

Thanks.

I doubt you can find a "preventative". You can get a "rust
inhibitor". The first I used was a product called _Extend_

Loctite bought the company.

"Loctite® Extend Rust Neutralizer is a fast drying, milky white latex
coating that is applied to rusted metal to stop rust, protect the
surface and act as a primer for the finish coat. It converts rust to a
neutral surface ready for painting, creating the ability to paint over
rust."

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/s_trmt_extend/overview/Loctite-Extend-Rust-Neutralizer.htm

Follow the directions on usage.

Be nice to know what the project is; material, etc.