Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Deteriorating decals

I have a circa 1950, Smith Miller Mobil Tanker" truck. Here's are "before" photos of the truck: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6039193...s-truck-tanker

I have:

used a paint-stripper to remove the original paint.

sanded the wooden body to a smooth surface.

applied an undercoat.

applied several coats of Rust-Oleum "Painters Touch" "Ultra Cover" Multi-Purpose Brush-On Premium Latex paint.

applied the decals.

but the decals are now chipping off and there looks like air bubbles under the decals.

What did I do wrong?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2018 4:25 PM, condo owner wrote:
I have a circa 1950, Smith Miller Mobil Tanker" truck. Here's are "before" photos of the truck: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6039193...s-truck-tanker

I have:

used a paint-stripper to remove the original paint.

sanded the wooden body to a smooth surface.

applied an undercoat.

applied several coats of Rust-Oleum "Painters Touch" "Ultra Cover" Multi-Purpose Brush-On Premium Latex paint.

applied the decals.

but the decals are now chipping off and there looks like air bubbles under the decals.

What did I do wrong?

How long did you wait to apply the decals? The pant may have been dry
to the touch but not fully cured.

I'd wait a week after stripping to paint, then at least a week, maybe
two to apply the decals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 25, 2018 at 3:25:57 PM UTC-5, condo owner wrote:
I have a circa 1950, Smith Miller Mobil Tanker" truck. Here's are "before" photos of the truck: https://www.etsy.com/listing/6039193...s-truck-tanker

I have:

used a paint-stripper to remove the original paint.

sanded the wooden body to a smooth surface.

applied an undercoat.

applied several coats of Rust-Oleum "Painters Touch" "Ultra Cover" Multi-Purpose Brush-On Premium Latex paint.

applied the decals.

but the decals are now chipping off and there looks like air bubbles under the decals.

What did I do wrong?

You could use your kitchen oven to cure the paint. If you can set the oven at a low enough temp that would cure the paint and not damage the plastic you'd be good to go. Heck, you can also try a hair dryer to help dry the paint. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Painted Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll strip off all the paint and start all over, giving the undercoat and the paint adequate time to dry between each coat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm NOT a collector and will NOT sell it to a collector!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2018 1:02 PM, condo owner wrote:
I'll strip off all the paint and start all over, giving the undercoat and the paint adequate time to dry between each coat.

Probably well cured now. A good sanding may be all you need, then paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Should I be using a different undercoat and/or paint?
Posted to alt.home.repair

condo owner posted for all of us...

Should I be using a different undercoat and/or paint?

Bed-liner?

--
Tekkie