Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Trilevel house siding deteriorating at roof junction

My next door neighbor has a trilevel house and the siding on the top
level is deteriorating at the point where it meets the roof of the
middle level. What is the correct construction practice for this
situation to prevent the problem in the future? Is this a place where
flashing is required (from the ground I can't tell if any flashing was
used) or was the siding just extended to close to the shingles such
that water flowing down the roof would just soak up into the siding?

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
DK DK is offline

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:17:00 -0600, John Keith wrote:

My next door neighbor has a trilevel house and the siding on the top
level is deteriorating at the point where it meets the roof of the
middle level. What is the correct construction practice for this
situation to prevent the problem in the future? Is this a place where
flashing is required (from the ground I can't tell if any flashing was
used) or was the siding just extended to close to the shingles such
that water flowing down the roof would just soak up into the siding?

John Keith

You have to provide much more.

Post some pictures.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 3:18 pm, dk wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:17:00 -0600, John Keith wrote:
My next door neighbor has a trilevel house and the siding on the top
level is deteriorating at the point where it meets the roof of the
middle level. What is the correct construction practice for this
situation to prevent the problem in the future? Is this a place where
flashing is required (from the ground I can't tell if any flashing was
used) or was the siding just extended to close to the shingles such
that water flowing down the roof would just soak up into the siding?

John Keith

You have to provide much more.

Post some pictures.

Siding should be held off of the shingles by a few inches. It could
also be splash from water falling off of an eave above as well.
Flashing would be tucked behind the siding, and prevents water
intrusion into the house itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 11:17:00 -0600, John Keith wrote:

My next door neighbor has a trilevel house and the siding on the top

You can see the same sort of junction on any split level house and on
loads of rows of townhouses, when built along a slope. Every two
houses will be a little lower than the ones they are next to, leaving
the same siding/roof junction.

Is trilevel the same as split level? Every split level I've ever seen
has a two story part and a one story part next to it, at a middle
level, so I suppose they could all be called trilevel.

If they are not the same, what is trilevel?
If they are the same, why the different name? Is it like calling
townhouses townhomes, when they are the same?

level is deteriorating at the point where it meets the roof of the
middle level. What is the correct construction practice for this
situation to prevent the problem in the future? Is this a place where
flashing is required (from the ground I can't tell if any flashing was
used) or was the siding just extended to close to the shingles such
that water flowing down the roof would just soak up into the siding?

John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 18:25:26 -0400, mm
wrote:

Is trilevel the same as split level? Every split level I've ever seen
has a two story part and a one story part next to it, at a middle
level, so I suppose they could all be called trilevel.

This house has the garage/LR/DR/Kitchen on the ground level (like a
ranch) then there is a level half underground with the rec room
accessed by a 6 or 7 step stairway and above this area are the BR and
bathrooms also accessed by a 6 or step stariway. I've always heard
this style referred to as trilevel, maybe this terminology is a
function of geography.

I'll try to post a picture. But the more I think about it (without
getting up on the roof) I believe the siding is probably in very close
proximity to the roof sheathing and the water is just wicking up into
the panels.

..
John Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Is trilevel the same as split level? Every split level I've ever seen
has a two story part and a one story part next to it, at a middle
level, so I suppose they could all be called trilevel.

This house has the garage/LR/DR/Kitchen on the ground level (like a
ranch) then there is a level half underground with the rec room
accessed by a 6 or 7 step stairway and above this area are the BR and
bathrooms also accessed by a 6 or step stariway. I've always heard
this style referred to as trilevel, maybe this terminology is a
function of geography.

OK. We call these split-levels in the midwest (regardless of what
rooms are on what floors, but I think yours is the most common).

In NYC we don't discuss such things.

In Baltimore, they have them but I can't remember anyone ever calling
them anything. I havent' read a real estate listing for a quarter
century. I know someone who lives in one. Someday I'll ask her what
she calls it.

I'll try to post a picture. But the more I think about it (without
getting up on the roof) I believe the siding is probably in very close
proximity to the roof sheathing and the water is just wicking up into
the panels.

.
John Keith