Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Earths can be dangerous

On Mon, 02 Jul 2018 18:52:05 +0100, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, July 1, 2018 at 5:19:47 PM UTC-4, Rod Speed wrote:
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 19:25:10 +0100, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 18:00:26 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote
Bob F wrote

A big problem of having no ground reference in the power lines
is that any leak to ground in any device in any house sharing the
transformer with you can float the entire power supply to any

level.

But earth-referencing power lines is not without its dangers

either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqRT7J86rco

Those distribution systems arent earth referenced.

Funny how it jumped to earth then.

This is a much better example of the downsides of earth referenced
systems.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-1...r-says/9654696

What is this "open circuit neutral" stuff? I have live and neutral
coming into my house form the transformer over the road (for the

yanks,
there's only 0 and 240V here, no 120 - Australia is the same I

think).
If the neutral got disconnected, I'd simply have no power, nothing

would
work in the house.

I think I know where you're going with this: you're saying since

neutral
and earth are identical, that a disconnection of my neutral from the
substation means current flows through my appliances from live to the
house neutral (now disconnected from the supply), which is also the

same
as the house earth, so earthed house appliances and taps get some

voltage
as current passes through the ground to get back to the substation.

Yep, and that can kill you because when the neutral goes open circuit,
there are no symptoms that that has happened, so you can get killed
or very seriously injured when you grab a metal water tap to turn the
hose off when standing on the wet ground near it or with bare feet
in the bathroom etc.

Yip, agreed - you get stupid things happeneing with grounded supplies.

And you do with floating supplys too, and that is over the entire area
supplied from the distribution transformer, not just the one house.

It's an insane idea and everything should be floating.

Trouble is that that needs a transformer for atleast every house.

There is no reason several houses cannot be on the same transformer
with an ungrounded system. It has nothing to do with whether it's one
house or three. You could do it right now, just remove the earth ground
at the transformer and at the three houses.

Are you the real trader4? Because I've never agreed with you in the past.