Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Earths can be dangerous

one simple reason, to get a shock you have to touch live AND earth.

or Live and Neutral.

Yes, but I can't remove the neutral or the appliance would no longer function. My point is the earth does not help the appliance work, all it does is add another possible path for electrocution.

Don't you have RCD's in your part of the world. Take the earth off the appliance and you could get a 13A shock instead of 30 mA one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/07/2018 08:13, therustyone wrote:
one simple reason, to get a shock you have to touch live AND earth.

or Live and Neutral.

Yes, but I can't remove the neutral or the appliance would no longer function. My point is the earth does not help the appliance work, all it does is add another possible path for electrocution.

Don't you have RCD's in your part of the world. Take the earth off the appliance and you could get a 13A shock instead of 30 mA one.

You are very unlikely to get a 13A shock.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 07 Jul 2018 08:43:49 +0100, ARW wrote:

You are very unlikely to get a 13A shock.

It *could* conceivably be done. Pull your foreskin back, stick your knob
in the mains socket whilst standing in 6" of water in a kids' paddling
pool that's well grounded. But a situation like this arising accidentally
is highly unlikely IMV. I mean, an insurance claim citing circumstances
like these would almost inevitably warrant further investigation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/07/2018 08:13, therustyone wrote:
one simple reason, to get a shock you have to touch live AND
earth.

or Live and Neutral.

Yes, but I can't remove the neutral or the appliance would no
longer function. My point is the earth does not help the appliance
work, all it does is add another possible path for electrocution.

Don't you have RCD's in your part of the world. Take the earth off
the appliance and you could get a 13A shock instead of 30 mA one.

You get the same current with or without an RCD.
The RCD only trips it quickly.
If its working and it might not be as few people ever test them and they
do fail.
What was the last time you tested that they worked?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 07/07/2018 10:12, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sat, 07 Jul 2018 08:43:49 +0100, ARW wrote:

You are very unlikely to get a 13A shock.

It *could* conceivably be done. Pull your foreskin back, stick your knob
in the mains socket whilst standing in 6" of water in a kids' paddling
pool that's well grounded. But a situation like this arising accidentally
is highly unlikely IMV. I mean, an insurance claim citing circumstances
like these would almost inevitably warrant further investigation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrocuting_an_Elephant

but that is 6kV

--
Adam