Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Earths can be dangerous

On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 22:06:59 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 01 Jul 2018 17:18:41 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message
news On 6/29/2018 7:58 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 22:11:44 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote
ARW wrote

I wish he would try it.

I'm not wasting more time on that oaf, but just wondering whether
we should be moving on to a 'post-earth world' for other reasons.

To some extent we have with double insulated appliances most
obviously.

But there is still a problem with washing machines, dishwashers,
electrical water heaters and ovens and stoves etc which arent
really practical to do double insulated.

How is that a problem?

Because when a fault shows up in one of those, there
will be no indication of a fault at all and the protection
that nothing earthed used to provide is now gone.
So you no longer have any protection, and that is
over the entire collection of houses etc that are
powered from that transformer in the substation if you
dont have individual transformers for each house.

The case could be not connected to anything, and the power could
be isolated from ground. If one side of the power touched the
casing, nothing would happen, as it would have no desire to go to
ground.

Yes, but with those devices that have other grounds
likely present via the water pipes etc, you now have
a problem that the case is at mains voltage and
touching that and the ground simultaneously and
that can certain kill you with that in separate hands
as is most likely in that situation.

What causes the danger is because live wants to go to ground,
through you.

And that can happen post fault when the fault
produces no visible effects and the device keeps
working and there are other grounds available.

A big problem of having no ground reference in the power lines is
that any leak to ground in any device in any house sharing the
transformer with you can float the entire power supply to any level..
If some device like a high voltage low current power supply made
contact to either of the power phases, there would be nothing to stop
all the power lines in those houses from floating up to whatever
voltage it drives. Then that power could arc from the power
connectors anywhere to any nearby ground or even a person standing on
a concrete floor.

Yeah, thats what I told him in a previous post in this thread.

With his delayed responses, not clear what his response to that will
be yet.

It's only delayed because you fell out of my killfile when my
newsreader was reinstalled, I now have thousands of posts to read.

Sure, but thats the reason for the delayed response, not denying it
happens.

I'm just pointing out that it's your fault.

You do talk a lot don't you?

Must be why you keep replying anyway.

I've killfiled you many times. So have most people.