Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New report: Easier access to guns means more violent deaths

Anyone who says that easy access to firearms is not the primary
problem, is just telling fairy tales.

A new report affirms what we already know: Easier access to guns means
more violent deaths

LA Times http://tinyurl.com/y7uxcm75

"...So who led the pack in gun-suicide rates, according to the Violence
Policy Center? Montana, where two-thirds of households have firearms
and where the gun-suicide rate was 15.54 per 100,000 residents, more
than twice the national rate of 7.1. The lowest gun-suicide rate was in
New Jersey, at 1.97 per 100,000, and where only 17.4% of households
owned firearms..."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2018 10:17 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
Anyone who says that easy access to firearms is not the primary
problem, is just telling fairy tales.

A new report affirms what we already know: Easier access to guns means
more violent deaths

LA Times http://tinyurl.com/y7uxcm75

"...So who led the pack in gun-suicide rates, according to the Violence
Policy Center? Montana, where two-thirds of households have firearms
and where the gun-suicide rate was 15.54 per 100,000 residents, more
than twice the national rate of 7.1. The lowest gun-suicide rate was in
New Jersey, at 1.97 per 100,000, and where only 17.4% of households
owned firearms..."

What is the total suicide rates? That would give a more true picture.
People use what is available to them be it a gun or pills.

Note that the rate in MT is double, but the ownership is almost 4X.
Would that not translate to a better rate? Seems that when guns are
available they are used less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2018 at 7:33:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

The article clearly displayed a link to the actual study which
contained detailed stats.

http://www.vpc.org/press/states-with...-gun-suicides/

As for your third sentence, that was pretty funny.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2018 10:44 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
[...]

But they did not give the overall suicide rate. People use the tools
thy have handy and are familiar with. I'm not sure what they are trying
to prove. If there is a loose screw and a butter knife is two feet
away, you may use that rather than run out to the garage tool box for a
screwdriver.

Show me that many more people commit suicide because they have guns and
that would be meaningful. NJ has higher bridges to jump off and readily
available drugs to OD on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2018 at 8:04:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

This was a study about gun violence, not suicide. I am sure you could
find suicide stats if that is what you are interested in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2018 11:07 AM, Dove Tail wrote:
[...]

They gave stat with no real meaning though. A quick glance may have
people thinking more guns = more suicide, but that is not the case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 15:07:03 -0000 (UTC), "Dove Tail"
wrote:

[...]

Funny how so many people like Ed resort to posting chaff when they
can't directly address the issue at hand.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Jun 2018 14:17:34 -0000 (UTC), "Dove Tail"
wrote:

Anyone who says that easy access to firearms is not the primary
problem, is just telling fairy tales.

A new report affirms what we already know: Easier access to guns means
more violent deaths

LA Times http://tinyurl.com/y7uxcm75

"...So who led the pack in gun-suicide rates, according to the Violence
Policy Center? Montana, where two-thirds of households have firearms
and where the gun-suicide rate was 15.54 per 100,000 residents, more
than twice the national rate of 7.1. The lowest gun-suicide rate was in
New Jersey, at 1.97 per 100,000, and where only 17.4% of households
owned firearms..."

How is suicide a violent death? Seems pretty calm to me.
Murder is a violent death and the murder rate has gone down in spite
of millions of new guns being sold every year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Anyone who says that easy access to firearms is not the primary
problem, is just telling fairy tales.

A new report affirms what we already know: Easier access to guns
means more violent deaths

LA Times
http://tinyurl.com/y7uxcm75

"...So who led the pack in gun-suicide rates, according to the
Violence Policy Center? Montana, where two-thirds of households
have firearms and where the gun-suicide rate was 15.54 per 100,000
residents, more than twice the national rate of 7.1. The lowest
gun-suicide rate was in New Jersey, at 1.97 per 100,000, and where
only 17.4% of households owned firearms..."

How is suicide a violent death? Seems pretty calm to me.
Murder is a violent death and the murder rate has gone down in spite
of millions of new guns being sold every year.

Ahhh, a slightly more sophisticated variation of Uncle Menstrual's
definition ploy. Can you distract attention away from the issue of
easier access to guns equating to greater gun violence?

How is it "violent" to blow off the top of one's head with a shotgun?

Here are a couple of definitions of "violent", hope you learn something.

Adjective: violent

1. Acting with or marked by or resulting from great force or energy or
emotional intensity

2. Effected by force or injury rather than natural causes
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So Dove Anus, when are you going to kill yourself? Perhaps you can borrow a gun? I'd gladly loan you mine. I've never fired it myself but my friend Stinky took it out to the woods and did some shooting with it. He said it jammed a lot so it might not go off when you stick it in your mouth and pull the trigger. If you kill yourself with a gun, that would be the best demonstration of how dangerous guns are. Do it live(no pun) on the Internet and make a YouTube video that other anti-Second Amendment freaks can use to get their anti-gun point across. Just think Dove Anus, you could be a sainted martyr for the anti-gun nut crowd. Just do it! ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hopeful Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Certainly not any more violent than jumping off a building hanging
yourself and no where near as violent as intentionally hitting a dump
truck head on.
The fact remains Japan has a higher suicide rate than the US and they
have no guns.

You also glaze over the fact that violent crime is declining and gun
ownership is rising.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/5/2018 at 8:38:17 PM, wrote:

[...]

Changing your story and acting as if you didn't. You asked "How is
suicide a violent death? Seems pretty calm to me." Now you are
admitting it is violent, but no more violent then blah, blah, blah.

The fact remains Japan has a higher suicide rate than the US and they
have no guns.

You also glaze over the fact that violent crime is declining and gun
ownership is rising.

Your points are completely irrelevant to the study referenced above,
which statistically demonstrates that easier access to guns results in
more deaths due to gun violence.

Once again, you did not read the article, or the study and are simply
jumping in with bull**** to obfuscate and distract. Yawn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jun 2018 13:16:57 -0000 (UTC), "Dove Tail"
wrote:

On 6/5/2018 at 8:38:17 PM, wrote:

[...]

VPC does not release "studies" they cherry pick statistics to reach
the conclusion they support and you gobble it up and treat it as fact.
Weren't you the one who just said statistics were lies?