Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toro Self Propelled 22" Mower Starting Proble, Help, Please

Hello,

Would be most grateful for any help or thoughts on this:

Have a 10 yr old Toro GPS 22" self propelled Lawn Mower.

New Spark Plug
New Air Filter.

Prime it the 3X they say to do, hold down the
handle, and pull.

Starts right up, each time.

But, after about only 5 seconds conks right out.
Each and every time.

Pulling handle again won't start it again.

If I re-prime again, starts right up again, and stops after the 5 seconds.

I'm out of ideas.

Any idea what might be going on, and how, hopefully, to correct ?

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 May 2018 11:33:48 -0700 (PDT), Robert11
wrote:

Hello,

Would be most grateful for any help or thoughts on this:

Have a 10 yr old Toro GPS 22" self propelled Lawn Mower.

New Spark Plug
New Air Filter.

Prime it the 3X they say to do, hold down the
handle, and pull.

Starts right up, each time.

But, after about only 5 seconds conks right out.
Each and every time.

Pulling handle again won't start it again.

If I re-prime again, starts right up again, and stops after the 5 seconds.

I'm out of ideas.

Any idea what might be going on, and how, hopefully, to correct ?

Thanks,
Bob

Next move I'd look is a fuel filter.They do clog up. Replace if it
starves for fuel.

fuel oxygen spark
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,

Would be most grateful for any help or thoughts on this:

Have a 10 yr old Toro GPS 22" self propelled Lawn Mower.

New Spark Plug
New Air Filter.

Prime it the 3X they say to do, hold down the
handle, and pull.

Starts right up, each time.

But, after about only 5 seconds conks right out.
Each and every time.

Pulling handle again won't start it again.

If I re-prime again, starts right up again, and stops after the 5 seconds.

I'm out of ideas.

Any idea what might be going on, and how, hopefully, to correct ?

Thanks,
Bob

Main jet in the carb is plugged. soaking it in sea-foam may help.
But about 2 oz of seafoam in half a tank of FRESH (preferably ethanol
free) gasoline. Prime and start and repeat, If there is a mixture
screw open it about 1/2 turn from current setting.

Let sit for a while and reprime and start. After numerous tries it
should stay running a bit longer. Eventually the jet will clear, and
the engine will continue running. Then it willstart running rich -
re-adjust mixture screw.

If this doesn't work the carb will have to come apart and be cleaned
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 2:33:57 PM UTC-4, Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Would be most grateful for any help or thoughts on this:

Have a 10 yr old Toro GPS 22" self propelled Lawn Mower.

New Spark Plug
New Air Filter.

Prime it the 3X they say to do, hold down the
handle, and pull.

Starts right up, each time.

But, after about only 5 seconds conks right out.
Each and every time.

Pulling handle again won't start it again.

If I re-prime again, starts right up again, and stops after the 5 seconds..

I'm out of ideas.

Any idea what might be going on, and how, hopefully, to correct ?

Thanks,
Bob

It's likely a fuel problem, probably the carb is fouled up. If you've been using gas with ethanol, stored it with gas over the winter, etc they get gunked up. If you identify the carb, there are rebuild kits for $10 on eBay or for less than $20 you can buy a Chinese carb. With the rebuild kit you take it apart, clean it with solvent, blow it out, put it together with the new seals, needle valve, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,

Would be most grateful for any help or thoughts on this:

Have a 10 yr old Toro GPS 22" self propelled Lawn Mower.

New Spark Plug
New Air Filter.

Prime it the 3X they say to do, hold down the
handle, and pull.

Starts right up, each time.

But, after about only 5 seconds conks right out.
Each and every time.

Pulling handle again won't start it again.

If I re-prime again, starts right up again, and stops after the 5 seconds.

I'm out of ideas.

Any idea what might be going on, and how, hopefully, to correct ?

10 years old? Look at the priming bulb and make sure it doesn't have
any cracks, which would result in a vacuum leak, quite common.

Also, check the carb bolts and make sure they are snug.

My money is on a crack in the bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2018 12:33 PM, Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Would be most grateful for any help or thoughts on this:

Have a 10 yr old Toro GPS 22" self propelled Lawn Mower.

New Spark Plug
New Air Filter.

Prime it the 3X they say to do, hold down the
handle, and pull.

Starts right up, each time.

But, after about only 5 seconds conks right out.
Each and every time.

Pulling handle again won't start it again.

If I re-prime again, starts right up again, and stops after the 5 seconds.

I'm out of ideas.

Any idea what might be going on, and how, hopefully, to correct ?

If you pull the line to the priming bulb do you have good flow? How
about the bulb itself? If Home Depot sells them in 3 packs that suggests
to me they don't last forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello,

Would be most grateful for any help or thoughts on this:

Have a 10 yr old Toro GPS 22" self propelled Lawn Mower.

New Spark Plug
New Air Filter.

Prime it the 3X they say to do, hold down the
handle, and pull.

Starts right up, each time.

But, after about only 5 seconds conks right out.
Each and every time.

Pulling handle again won't start it again.

If I re-prime again, starts right up again, and stops after the 5 seconds.

I'm out of ideas.

Any idea what might be going on, and how, hopefully, to correct ?

10 years old? Look at the priming bulb and make sure it doesn't have
any cracks, which would result in a vacuum leak, quite common.

Also, check the carb bolts and make sure they are snug.

My money is on a crack in the bulb.

Except a cracked primer bulb generally doesn't prime either - - - -
And 10 years on a primer bulb is NOTHING.

Generally at about 15 or 20 you START suspecting them. (frommy
experience)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 19, 2018 at 1:43:51 PM UTC-5, Oren wrote:

Next move I'd look is a fuel filter.They do clog up. Replace if it
starves for fuel.

fuel oxygen spark

That's what happened to one of my lawn mowers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Small cracks in primer bulbs, in warm, dry environments are common and
frequently happen after 6 - 7 years, especially when the equipment is
used year round. It has happened to me numerous times. Checking the
primer bulb for cracks and the tightness of the carb bolts are
certainly the easiest and fastest steps. If Robert11 checks back in
we might learn what he finds.