Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Any experience with pullout cabinet pantries?

Hello all:

Any experience with pullout would pantries? I'm considering either building one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelves.

For those who you who maybe call it something else, here is one from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rev-A-Sh...14-1/202855272

I was visiting with some friends who remodel their homes recently. When they asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they get too heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual pullout shelves.

Thanks!

Deguza
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2018 3:20 PM, Deguza wrote:
Hello all:

Any experience with pullout would pantries? I'm considering either building one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelves.

For those who you who maybe call it something else, here is one from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rev-A-Sh...14-1/202855272

I was visiting with some friends who remodel their homes recently. When they asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they get too heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual pullout shelves.

Thanks!

Deguza

Seems like over time it could become troublesome if you put a lot of
weight on it. Rating is 450# though. I'd want to see one in person
first, but I like the idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Mar 2018 12:20:06 -0700 (PDT), Deguza
wrote:

Hello all:

Any experience with pullout would pantries? I'm considering either building one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelves.

For those who you who maybe call it something else, here is one from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rev-A-Sh...14-1/202855272

I was visiting with some friends who remodel their homes recently. When they asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they get too heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual pullout shelves.

Thanks!

Deguza

If the unit is installed per the instructions I see an advantage, I
have multiple slide out drawers and also a pantry designed by the
bride and myself. Those type cabinets have unique shapes, a corner
with a lazy Susan or one for a trash can under the sink. YMMV

"Think" what works best for your situations, how do you optimize the
space you have and what is convenient.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 3:20:10 PM UTC-4, Deguza wrote:
Hello all:

Any experience with pullout would pantries? I'm considering either building one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelves.

For those who you who maybe call it something else, here is one from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rev-A-Sh...14-1/202855272

I was visiting with some friends who remodel their homes recently. When they asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they get too heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual pullout shelves.

Thanks!

Deguza

I've used ones where individual shelves pulled out, similar idea, but not the whole unit. Whole unit, idk about the total weight, loaded that whole unit would have a lot of mass, depending on what you put in it. They are convenient. How well a particular one is built will of course vary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/24/2018 2:20 PM, Deguza wrote:
Hello all:

Any experience with pullout would pantries? I'm considering either building one. The alternate I'm considering involves individual pullout shelves.

For those who you who maybe call it something else, here is one from Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rev-A-Sh...14-1/202855272

I was visiting with some friends who remodel their homes recently. When they asked the contractor to put one in, the contractor said that they get too heavy and could fall off. And he advised them to put in individual pullout shelves.

Thanks!

Deguza

Â* From a cabinet maker's POV - Make the slideouts in 2 sections , with
2 pairs of 200 lb full extension drawer guides per . I would NOT trust a
volume manufactured cabinet , custom built will prove the better value
in the long run every time .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 24, 2018 at 2:40:17 PM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Well, I decided to go with individual pull-out shelves--there will be five of them. One of the reasons is that one side of the pantry is against the wall, so I can never look inside a full pull-out pantry from that side. With pull-out shelves, I can at least stick my head on top to get a full view.

I have chosen the following slide: Richelieu 2-Pack 22-in Drawer Slides (100 lbs. capacity)

( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Richelieu-2...lides/50041742 )

Any comments on these slides?

Thanks!

Deguza
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2018 1:04 PM, Deguza wrote:
[...]

I'm not familiar with that brand , I think they're overpriced . Take a
look at these -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Pairs-Fu...E/232471034907

Â* no brand name iin the listing but they look pretty good too .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 11:04:01 -0700 (PDT), Deguza
wrote:

I have chosen the following slide: Richelieu 2-Pack 22-in Drawer Slides (100 lbs. capacity)

( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Richelieu-2...lides/50041742 )

Any comments on these slides?

Thanks!

Deguza

Can't speak to the brand, but the slides are "full extension". I have
drawers that slide out in one cabinet. With heavy jars of flour and
other types of cooking ingredients. Fully extended the drawer remains
stable -- easy glide.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 11:26:55 AM UTC-7, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Those are cheap! $72 for 15... However, reliability is unknown Some no-name items can be good, but then some are just are for looks.

Thanks!

Deguza
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have chosen the following slide: Richelieu 2-Pack 22-in (100 lbs. capacity)
( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Richelieu-2...lides/50041742 )
Any comments on these slides?
Thanks!
Deguza

Can't speak to the brand, but the slides are "full extension". I have
drawers that slide out in one cabinet. With heavy jars of flour and
other types of cooking ingredients. Fully extended the drawer remains
stable -- easy glide.

You can get white or black for about a buck more :

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Hardware...614,43616&ap=1

The zinc looks too industrial, to me - unless in a workshop ..

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have chosen the following slide: Richelieu 2-Pack 22-in Drawer Slides (100 lbs. capacity)

( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Richelieu-2...lides/50041742 )

Any comments on these slides?

Thanks!

Deguza

Can't speak to the brand, but the slides are "full extension". I have
drawers that slide out in one cabinet. With heavy jars of flour and
other types of cooking ingredients. Fully extended the drawer remains
stable -- easy glide.

Is "easy glide" the brand name?

Thanks!

Deguza
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 12:45:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I have chosen the following slide: Richelieu 2-Pack 22-in (100 lbs. capacity)
( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Richelieu-2...lides/50041742 )
Any comments on these slides?
Thanks!
Deguza

Can't speak to the brand, but the slides are "full extension". I have
drawers that slide out in one cabinet. With heavy jars of flour and
other types of cooking ingredients. Fully extended the drawer remains
stable -- easy glide.

You can get white or black for about a buck more :

http://www.leevalley.com/us/Hardware...614,43616&ap=1

The zinc looks too industrial, to me - unless in a workshop ..

John T.

I agree, zinc-plated ones do look industrial. When I worked for a hi-tech company some decades ago, we used them to attach our power supplies to a rack.

I like the whites.

Thanks,

Deguza
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/3/2018 1:56 PM, Deguza wrote:
[...]

Â* Those look exactly like the hundreds (thousands ?) of guides I
installed in a major millwork shop ... and they're rated a hundred
pounds , I doubt you'll overload them to the point of failure with a
shallow drawer/shelf . This ain't rocket science .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have chosen the following slide: Richelieu 2-Pack 22-in Drawer Slides (100 lbs. capacity)

( https://www.lowes.com/pd/Richelieu-2...lides/50041742 )

Any comments on these slides?

Thanks!

Deguza

Can't speak to the brand, but the slides are "full extension". I have
drawers that slide out in one cabinet. With heavy jars of flour and
other types of cooking ingredients. Fully extended the drawer remains
stable -- easy glide.

Is "easy glide" the brand name?

Thanks!

Deguza

I can't really tell you that or not. I guess easy glide is a market
thing. Basically a smooth operation of the rail glide. I suppose it
deals with the quality of the rollers, themselves. Say, less
frictions. Now cabinet drawers can self retract with a tiny nudge or
bump. Maybe called self closing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 15:03:24 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Those look exactly like the hundreds (thousands ?) of guides I
installed in a major millwork shop ... and they're rated a hundred
pounds , I doubt you'll overload them to the point of failure with a
shallow drawer/shelf . This ain't rocket science .

Correction on a post of mine, I said I had one cabinet with slide out
drawers/shelves. The second is under the stove range. It holds the
heavy pots & pans. Some cast iron. The other cabinets hold flour and
other heavy contents. Both are shelves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

* Those look exactly like the hundreds (thousands ?) of guides I
installed in a major millwork shop ... and they're rated a hundred
pounds , I doubt you'll overload them to the point of failure with a
shallow drawer/shelf . This ain't rocket science .

Correction on a post of mine, I said I had one cabinet with slide out
drawers/shelves. The second is under the stove range. It holds the
heavy pots & pans. Some cast iron. The other cabinets hold flour and
other heavy contents. Both are shelves.

If you can find a place to compare 100 vs 200 lb. slides -
just pick them up and compare the weight - not a scientific test
for quality - but lots more steel ...

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...614,43616&ap=1

I worry about the screw-size and anchor material and installation
for a long pair of 200 pound slides ... they are very beefy !
John T.