Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seldom used single arm shower faucet doesn't adjust temp. well

Spare bedroom in my condo build in 2009 has a shower. It is almost never used, but I noticed there is almost no adjustment between hot and cold. You move the handle one way you get hot full on, a tad the other way much colder.

I assume I could just replace the cartridge, but it seems strange that it is acting this way, especially since it's never seen any real use.

Is this proper repair or something else wrong?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 1:27:47 PM UTC-5, ArghArgh wrote:
Spare bedroom in my condo build in 2009 has a shower. It is almost never used, but I noticed there is almost no adjustment between hot and cold. You move the handle one way you get hot full on, a tad the other way much colder.

I assume I could just replace the cartridge, but it seems strange that it is acting this way, especially since it's never seen any real use.

Is this proper repair or something else wrong?

Thanks.

The O-rings may be letting water leak past them if it's type with O-rings. You might try some plumbers grease on the cartridge first before replacing the cartridge. I believe you can get a little tube of the grease at Lowe's Depot. I remember seeing it on a card hanging in the plumbing section of those stores. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Greasy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/16/2018 2:27 PM, ArghArgh wrote:
Spare bedroom in my condo build in 2009 has a shower. It is almost never used, but I noticed there is almost no adjustment between hot and cold. You move the handle one way you get hot full on, a tad the other way much colder.

I assume I could just replace the cartridge, but it seems strange that it is acting this way, especially since it's never seen any real use.

Is this proper repair or something else wrong?

Thanks.

Not sure exaxrly how they work, but the anti-scald cartridge is
probably not working, could even be from non use. There is a piston
inside rhat could be stuck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri 16 Mar 2018 03:40:04p, Ed Pawlowski told us...

On 3/16/2018 2:27 PM, ArghArgh wrote:
Spare bedroom in my condo build in 2009 has a shower. It is
almost never used, but I noticed there is almost no adjustment
between hot and cold. You move the handle one way you get hot
full on, a tad the other way much colder.

I assume I could just replace the cartridge, but it seems strange
that it is acting this way, especially since it's never seen any
real use.

Is this proper repair or something else wrong?

Thanks.

Not sure exaxrly how they work, but the anti-scald cartridge is
probably not working, could even be from non use. There is a
piston inside rhat could be stuck.

I've had a similar problem years ago in a condo. A plumber friend
told me to turn the faucet back and forth from off to full on hot
numerous times. After that it worked perfectly. Some time last year
we experienced the same thing in the co-op where we currently live.
I tried the same thing and, once agaon, it worked perfectly after
that. I wold try giving that a shot.

Makes sense. If it is stuck. that could loosen the piston.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 7:50:39 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

Tried the turn on/off about 100 times, if it is the piston it must be really stuck.

Going to replace the cartridge unless anyone has any other ideas.

Strange, I backed out the hex bolt and can't get the handle off, do I have to remove it completely?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/17/2018 8:03 AM, ArghArgh wrote:
[...]

Faucets often have a lifetime warranty, so the manufacturer might

replace the parts.