Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weil-McLain Gold GV, adjust outlet temp

I posted this over in hvac, but I just get the 'you fool' answer. I
am quite ready to accept, 'don't touch' but I'd like
a bit of an explaination. Call me curious.

Just had a new (replacement) Weil-McLain Gold GV series 4
boiler installed. This unit heats fluid that is piped
thru a basement floor.

The old unit, that rusted out (15 years old), had a lower
outlet temperature. That unit supplied fluid at about 120F
into the floor. This new unit is up around 140F. The old
unit was installed by a professional and I never touched it.

I assume that the oulet temperature, at 140F, is related directly
to the boiler inlet temperature; it's the same circuit. I'm guessing..

I don't have a schematic. My desire to reduce this temperature is
based on
increasing the boiler efficiency.

The user's manual says that the GCM
(the units controller) mixes return water (cooled by the floor)
and by-passed boiler output to maintain 140F temperature into the
boiler sections, "to guard against
condensation even if the return water is as low as 60F".
Fluid returned from the floor is around 60F.

My questions are these.

Can the boiler inlet temperature be adjusted?

Would it be more efficient to lower the boiler inlet temperature?

Would lowering the temperature to, say, 120 be a good idea?

What is the reason to avoid condensation? Doesn't the condensate
just flow into a drain?

And .....

I thought these new high eff boilers were being made with stainless.
If
that's the case, why would they worry about rusting?

Posted to alt.home.repair

061218 0630 - werwer posted:

I posted this over in hvac, but I just get the 'you fool' answer. I
am quite ready to accept, 'don't touch' but I'd like
a bit of an explaination. Call me curious.

Yes, don't ask anything over in Faggotsville. They have their own little
clique over there and don't want to be bothered with "HomeMoaner" queries...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ned Ned is offline

On 18 Dec 2006 03:30:06 -0800, "werwer" wrote:

I posted this over in hvac, but I just get the 'you fool' answer. I
am quite ready to accept, 'don't touch' but I'd like
a bit of an explaination. Call me curious.

99.5 % of hvac people are crooks as you have just seen. Their work
is not rocket science and most of them have an IQ of less than 50.