Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Motion Sensors To Control Three Lights

On Thursday, January 31, 2008 at 11:21:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Would like to use two motion sensors (the ones sold individually and
not connected to any lights) to turn on three flood lights. The idea
would be if either motion sensor was tripped the three lights would go
on.

My thought was to connect the switched side of the one motion sensor
to the three lights and to the switched side of the other motion
sensor. So it would be:

(Hot Wire) Motion Sensor[A](Switched Wire)Light(Switched
Wire)Light(Switched Wire)Light(Switched Wire)Motion
Sensor[b](Hot Wire)

My concern is that the current applied to the motion sensor that is
NOT activated when the other is activated may damage the motion
sensor. In other words if Motion Sensor [A] is tripped it would allow
current to flow to all three lights and the switched side of Motion
Sensor [b]... would that damage Sensor [b]?

Thanks,
William

I know this is an old post, but maybe someone could help me.
I have a 1000' driveway that I want to light all the way down. I have power at both ends and would like to use both power supplies so as to keep the wire size to a minimum. I would need multiple motion sensors, at least one at each end of each circuit to light the drive. I would really prefer that all lights engage when any motion sensor is activated, but know that I can only run sensors off of one circuit in parallel. My thinking is to use relays, but I am not familiar with relay wiring, particularly with using multiple circuits.
Any help?? All is appreciated!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Mar 2018 19:49:53 -0800 (PST), Bob da Builda
wrote:

[...]

You can use a 120v relay or, if these are mostly LED bulbs (total less
than 300w or whatever the sensors are rated for) you can connect them
all in parallel. I am using paralleled sensors in 3 different places
here with no problems. (the Heath/Zenith ones)
The relay style work with all LED/CFL but if they are electronic
switching, you need one incandescent bulb in there to give it a
resistive load. An 11w sign bulb is usually enough.

If you do go with a relay or two, connect the 120v coils to the red
(switched wire) and connect the black (hot) wire through the relay
points to the string of bulbs.
Just be sure all of the detectors are connected to the same circuit
from the panel.