Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toxic smell from Wood Burner

We installed a wood burner about 6 months ago before installing it the chimney
was swept and it worked well.
We are unable to use it now as it gives off a very toxic smell, we have had it
cleaned and the chimney swept again, but the smell is still there.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1160201-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/25/2018 2:14 PM, house13 wrote:
We installed a wood burner about 6 months ago before installing it the
chimney
was swept and it worked well.

The brand and model is?

We are unable to use it now as it gives off a very toxic smell, we have
had it cleaned and the chimney swept again, but the smell is still there.

If it comes with a catalytic converter that likely is your issue.

Check the damper settings and burn a load of wood off until very hot.

Then readjust the damper/converter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 21:14:05 GMT, house13
m wrote:

We installed a wood burner about 6 months ago before installing it the chimney
was swept and it worked well.
We are unable to use it now as it gives off a very toxic smell, we have had it
cleaned and the chimney swept again, but the smell is still there.

What did the Chimney Sweep suggest?

We don't know the wood being burnt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

house13caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_12533@exa mple.com wrote:
We installed a wood burner about 6 months ago before installing it the chimney
was swept and it worked well.
We are unable to use it now as it gives off a very toxic smell, we have had it
cleaned and the chimney swept again, but the smell is still there.
--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1160201-.htm

Put bacon grease on some firewood, gives it a nice smell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue 27 Feb 2018 11:51:57p, mysterious traveler told us...

house13caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_12533@exa mple.com wrote:
We installed a wood burner about 6 months ago before installing
it the chimney was swept and it worked well.
We are unable to use it now as it gives off a very toxic smell,
we have had it cleaned and the chimney swept again, but the smell
is still there. --
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...l-from-wood-bu
rner-1160201-.htm

Put bacon grease on some firewood, gives it a nice smell.

Bacon grease may overshdow the unpleasant acrid toxic smell, but
shouldn't be source of the toxic smell be determined? Could it be
the type of wood, or wood that has been treated? I would think that
pure clean wood without any additives would produce a clean smell
when burning.

I'm assuming the 'wood burner' was designed to be used and not a
decorative piece with some sort of coating that's burning off? I have a
neighbor whose wood stove smells bad at times but he burns kitchen
trash. Burning plastic stinks.