Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need advise on bathtub

Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:43:51 -0800, Deguza wrote:

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Requires a visitor to have a Microsoft Onedrive account. I doubt many will
sign up just to see your picture. Post it to a free server somewhere, such
as https://imgur.com/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:43:51 -0800 (PST), Deguza
wrote:

Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

Lower the side farthest rom the wall?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/18 4:43 PM, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The
bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way
that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without
breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

Would there be some sort of material you could apply to the tub
and slope it away from the wall? Trowel it on? There are shower wall
panels that look like tile. Would there be some way to make a strip out
of one and put the bottom edge of it at the tub sidewall? I can't
picture it
looking good though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/18 6:01 PM, Sam Hill wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:43:51 -0800, Deguza wrote:

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Requires a visitor to have a Microsoft Onedrive account. I doubt many will
sign up just to see your picture. Post it to a free server somewhere, such
as https://imgur.com/

Not so. At bottom of screen is a "No Thanks, Show Anyway" button.

That's how I saw the pic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:44:04 PM UTC-5, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

It would seem the tiles are not the problem, the problem is the tub was
not put in level. You're screwed. Maybe you can get one of those tub
refinishing companies to put an insert in over it. But I can't think of
any reasonable solution to solve what a level would have done at install
time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/18 6:51 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:44:04 PM UTC-5, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

It would seem the tiles are not the problem, the problem is the tub was
not put in level. You're screwed. Maybe you can get one of those tub
refinishing companies to put an insert in over it. But I can't think of
any reasonable solution to solve what a level would have done at install
time.

Consider grouting or caulking in a length of 1/2" PVC pipe in the
corner edge.

Or for a "quick & dirty", hang a shower rod just below the window
sill, with a shower curtain trimmed to hang just over the tub edge.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 18:40:42 -0500, Retired wrote:

On 2/24/18 6:01 PM, Sam Hill wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:43:51 -0800, Deguza wrote:

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Requires a visitor to have a Microsoft Onedrive account. I doubt many
will sign up just to see your picture. Post it to a free server
somewhere, such as https://imgur.com/

Not so. At bottom of screen is a "No Thanks, Show Anyway" button.

That's how I saw the pic.

Oh, so there is. Very small print and I missed it, most likely as they
intended. But then, my browser (Linux/SeaMonkey) gets hung up
"transferring data" from many odd sites, including skype.com,
bn130files.storage.live.com and numerous others ... maybe because I
refused all the cookies. So, no thanks!

Make it simple, Deguza. Use imgur.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:51:54 PM UTC-6, trader_4 wrote:

It would seem the tiles are not the problem, the problem is the tub was
not put in level. You're screwed. Maybe you can get one of those tub
refinishing companies to put an insert in over it. But I can't think of
any reasonable solution to solve what a level would have done at install
time.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

What I can't understand is the knucklehead who did this crappy install
did not check for level!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deguza wrote:

Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The
bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way
that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without
breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

Easiest approach is to use your bath towel to dry off the ledge after
you dry off yourself and wipe down the walls.

If the tub was manufactured so the ledge has a slant when the tub is
level, then the tub was not installed level.

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/24/18 4:43 PM, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

Add tub molding or edging?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/24/2018 05:01 PM, Sam Hill wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:43:51 -0800, Deguza wrote:

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Requires a visitor to have a Microsoft Onedrive account.

It does not. It puts up an advertisement, which you can close.

I doubt many will
sign up just to see your picture.

Some might. That could be why they put that junk up there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

Do what causes the least amount of damage, the path of least
resistance. Somebody did not use a chalk line, a level or even install
the tub to tilt away from the wall. Good Luck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 17:37:48 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 2/24/18 4:43 PM, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The
bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way
that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without
breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

Would there be some sort of material you could apply to the tub
and slope it away from the wall? Trowel it on? There are shower wall
panels that look like tile. Would there be some way to make a strip out
of one and put the bottom edge of it at the tub sidewall? I can't
picture it
looking good though.

better that way than having the water run out both ends onto the
floor.

Just wipe it down when you are finished. The lip on the back of the
tub behind the tile will not let water past.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:03:15 -0500, Retired wrote:

[...]

Never understood why you'd want a window in a shower/tub enclosure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 10:14:26 PM UTC-6, Clare Snyder wrote:

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:03:15 -0500, Retired wrote:

Or for a "quick & dirty", hang a shower rod just below the window
sill, with a shower curtain trimmed to hang just over the tub edge.

Never understood why you'd want a window in a shower/tub enclosure.

Well, for some bathrooms, that's the only place to put a window. A
window is much appreciated for the natural light it lets in. But
the best type window, in my opinion, is one of those transom styles.
It's up high on the wall for privacy but does brighten the room.

Here are two pictures I snagged off the internet. The first picture
is quite similar to the one I have in a bathroom addition but it's
just a smidge larger than mine.

https://s13.postimg.org/grlwpk7qv/transom_window_1.jpg

The second picture is of one that's more narrow and high up the wall.

https://s13.postimg.org/407qj30jr/transom_window_2.jpg

Some open for ventilation and some do not; mine does not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

When you look at it, the accumulation starts sort of the in the middle and continues to the left corner.

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 3:15:51 PM UTC-8, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:43:51 -0800 (PST), Deguza yyy@xxx
wrote:

Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

Lower the side farthest rom the wall?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, the water keeps coming down from the wall for at least 15 more minutes.

I am usually in a hurry in the morning to go to work and cannot wait too long

If I were to do it myself, rest of the folks at home are difficult to train...

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 4:13:28 PM UTC-8, Dove Tail wrote:
Deguza wrote:

Hello all,

My 70-year-old San Jose home has a relatively new bathroom. The
bathtub has a problem: The person installing it has put it in a way
that the side against the wall accumulates water.

There are tiles on the wall. How do I straighten this bathtub without
breaking the tiles?

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Thanks!

Deguza

Easiest approach is to use your bath towel to dry off the ledge after
you dry off yourself and wipe down the walls.

If the tub was manufactured so the ledge has a slant when the tub is
level, then the tub was not installed level.

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sam Hill news Feb 2018 23:01:03 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 14:43:51 -0800, Deguza wrote:

Here is a photo: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Arqoa1B33oXrgStfLzuzc2yL9hOv

Requires a visitor to have a Microsoft Onedrive account. I doubt
many will sign up just to see your picture. Post it to a free
server somewhere, such as https://imgur.com/

Or for even easier access, picpaste. You don't even have to allow
scripts to see the picture. No advertising crap, either.

--
Don't become the next David Brooks cyberstalking victim!
Visit https://tekrider.net/pages/david-brooks-stalker.php (10/10 WOT)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/25/2018 03:07 AM, Diesel wrote:

Or for even easier access, picpaste. You don't even have to allow scripts to see the picture. No advertising crap, either.

This ain't 1990 any longer.Â* The better usenet services allow pictures.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 11:14:26 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

For houses built before ventilation fans were common, it was a good
way to ventilate the room.

My bathroom has a window, but someone added a three-season porch that
now covers it. When we remodeled the bathroom a couple of years ago,
we kept the window. There's a pane of glass nearly flush with the shower
walls, some glass shelves, then an openable sash on the outside. We've
got colored art glass on the glass shelves. It's gorgeous when the
sun comes through there in the late afternoon.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 24 Feb 2018 22:53:33 -0800 (PST), Deguza
wrote in

Thanks for your suggestion.

Here is the new URL on Imgur: https://imgur.com/uxnoZmq

Much better. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deguza wrote:

Well, the water keeps coming down from the wall for at least 15 more
minutes.

I am usually in a hurry in the morning to go to work and cannot wait
too long

If I were to do it myself, rest of the folks at home are difficult to
train...

Backing out a bit, what harm is this water causing? The Tub, is
waterproof as is the caulking where the tub meets the wall.

If you don't have the time to wipe it up, just leave it. All the other
solutions short of resetting the tub are going to look much worse.

Also, what did the contractor have to say? A real pro would redo the
work at no charge.

By the way, your OneDrive post works just fine even without using a
onedrive account. The viewer only needs to click the X on the sign in
window and the picture is perfectly viewable.

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"

Posted to alt.home.repair

Deguza wrote:

There is no contractor around since this was done some decades by the
previous owner...

Your original post said it was a relatively new bathroom, not one that
is "decades" old, which is it?

--
"In matters of conscience, the law of the majority has no place."

"Truth Sounds Like Hate To Those Who Hate The Truth"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 2:53:45 PM UTC-5, Dove Tail wrote:
Deguza wrote:

There is no contractor around since this was done some decades by the
previous owner...

Your original post said it was a relatively new bathroom, not one that
is "decades" old, which is it?

The house is 70. The bathroom could be 20 and still be new
relative to the house.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 11:56:00 PM UTC-5, Deguza wrote:
Hello, When I bought the house in 2008,the bathroom was there. From the material used I can see that it is not the material that was around 70 years ago. From the wear-and-tear I am guessing it is around 20 to 25 years old.

So, I guess the answer is just live with it. Either the tub was installed
not level or the floor has shifted, settled, etc. What's the real
problem anyway? As long as the bath is ventilated, the water will dry
out in a day on it's own. I can see you might have to clean that
area more ofter, maybe mold might have to be bleached out of the caulked
area once in a while. But is that so bad? Maybe leave a sponge in
one or two areas where the water accumulates and then remove the sponge
an hour later after the water is done pooling?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deguza wrote:

Hello, When I bought the house in 2008,the bathroom was there. From
the material used I can see that it is not the material that was
around 70 years ago. From the wear-and-tear I am guessing it is
around 20 to 25 years old.

So your relatively new bathroom is up to a quarter century old, I now
understand. Cindy was correct about your use of the word "relatively",
go figure.

As I said previously, anything you do to prevent the water pooling,
short of resetting the bathtub, is going to end up looking pretty
crappy.

1. Reset the tub.

2. Train all users to wipe down the wall and tub after use.

3. Ignore it, let the water evaporate on it's own, occasionally clean
the area with white vinegar and ensure you use a high quality silicone
caulking between the tub and the tile to prevent leaks.