Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just want to learn more about helping a neighbor put a new hummingbird/duck faucet on

I just want to learn more about helping a neighbor put a new faucet to
replace a broken leaky set of faucets.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/faucet1.jpg

She bought the two faucet, one of which appears to be a duck, the other a
hummingbird, because she says that there was no shutoff valve on the
original leaking faucet (which appears to me to be broken off somehow).
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/faucet2.jpg

When I removed the old leaky faucet, I saw what appears to be "copper"
threads, but I would have expected steel or brass, not copper - which is
why I had bought a set of brass hose adapters.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/faucet3.jpg

The odd thing was that shutting off the cold water didn't turn off the
water supply (I don't get it but it's OK that I got a bit wet). But worse,
the brass adapter I bought was a male to female, where the duck and
hummingbird she bought were both males and the pipe out of the wall is
male.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/02/24/faucet4.jpg

My main question, since I hope to fix it for her tomorrow, is just whether
you'd buy a female-to-female brass or copper fitting?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ultred ragnusen" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'd jst screw the new hose bib onto the copper pipe that is projecting from
the wall. No adapter needed assuming she bought the right size hose bibs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

I'd jst screw the new hose bib onto the copper pipe that is projecting from
the wall. No adapter needed assuming she bought the right size hose bibs.

It's 3/4 inch male on the hose bib and 1/2 male on the pipe coming out of
the wall, as shown in the photos.

The brass coupler 1/2 inch female to 3/4 inch female is $18 at Home Depot
while the galvanized coupler is $3.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"ultred ragnusen" wrote in message
news
dadiOH wrote:

I'd jst screw the new hose bib onto the copper pipe that is projecting
from
the wall. No adapter needed assuming she bought the right size hose
bibs.

It's 3/4 inch male on the hose bib and 1/2 male on the pipe coming out of
the wall, as shown in the photos.

No, the hose bib is female but has a teflon wrapped femalemale bushing in
it. The wall stub looks like 3/4" and - from the photos - it looks like the
bib would screw directly to it once the bushing is removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

It's 3/4 inch male on the hose bib and 1/2 male on the pipe coming out of
the wall, as shown in the photos.

No, the hose bib is female but has a teflon wrapped femalemale bushing in
it. The wall stub looks like 3/4" and - from the photos - it looks like the
bib would screw directly to it once the bushing is removed.

I just realized, from what you wrote, that it must be true that the part
sticking out of the wall (which you call the hose bib I think), is really a
female with a copper coupler.

That would explain why all the pipes are galvanized except this copper nub
sticking out.

So if I remove the copper nub (which I think must be 3/4" male to 1/2"
male), then I should be left with a galvanized 3/4 inch female hose bib,
right?

Then I can screw the brass faucet 3/4" male to that galvanized 3/4" female
"hose bib", right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

[...]

Wrong.

A hose bib is a faucet. A faucet with a shut off valve.

I seriously doubt that the pipe stub sticking out of the wall is a "copper
coupler". What would be the point? It is most likely a brass nipple long
enough to reach the supply line in the wall. No idea why there is a nut on
it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dadiOH wrote:

Then I can screw the brass faucet 3/4" male to that galvanized 3/4" female
"hose bib", right?

Wrong.

A hose bib is a faucet. A faucet with a shut off valve.

I seriously doubt that the pipe stub sticking out of the wall is a "copper
coupler". What would be the point? It is most likely a brass nipple long
enough to reach the supply line in the wall. No idea why there is a nut on
it.

I'm officially confused, so I thank you for the correction and I will post
back when I solve the dilemma.