Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Helping neighbor's kids fix sunburned speaker in Toyota Camry

Am trying to help a neighbor's kids by replacing the rear-deck speaker
covers in a Toyota Camry,
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/19/speakera.jpg

Have you done it?
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/19/speakerb.jpg

It doesn't come out the top or the bottom.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/19/speakerc.jpg

How do you access these clips?
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/19/speakerd.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 18:46:12 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
wrote:

Am trying to help a neighbor's kids by replacing the rear-deck speaker
covers in a Toyota Camry,
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/19/speakera.jpg
Have you done it?
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/19/speakerb.jpg
It doesn't come out the top or the bottom.
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/19/speakerc.jpg
How do you access these clips?
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/11/19/speakerd.jpg

A quick google search results in many hits for youtube videos
on the subject - even relating to different model years ...
you don't state what year of Camry you're working on
google " camry rear speaker removal "
I didn't really study them closely but in reading the notes
it seems that the whole deck panel needs to come off to
do it properly ...
Here are two links you can try :

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t952...r_removal.html

http://tinyurl.com/ybbqxyg6

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair,rec.autos.tech

replying to harry newton, Iggy wrote:
"Toyota Camry Rear Speaker and Grill Cover Removal 2002-2006"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-kcKxbXx4

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1151335-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

He who is Clare Snyder said on Sun, 19 Nov 2017 20:50:29 -0500:

Remove rear seat. Remove parcel shelf. Pop off the retainer ":nuts" -
install new grilles by pressing on the "nuts" or "clips.
Reinstall parcel shelf.
Reinstall rear seat
Enjoy

Aurgh. I thought it would be easy so I offered to help the neighbor and now
I have to finish the job when the kids come back next week to visit their
mom!

It's not hard, but it's a lot more than I bargained for.
I need to buy those plastic upholstery tools I think.

The video shows how to do it where I summarize as
* remove both side cushions of rear seat
* remove back vertical panel behind the rear seats
* remove center brake light
* remove rear window weatherstripping
* remove both side C pillar covers
* remove rear deck
* drill out the old speaker cover posts
* insert new speaker covers & use the clips that come with the kit
* reassembly is apparently the opposite of removal as the video stops
https://youtu.be/Ve-kcKxbXx4?t=519
Posted to alt.home.repair

He who is Oren said on Sun, 19 Nov 2017 13:04:06 -0800:

The last link to the "clips" puzzled me. They look like those do-dads
on the end of a wagon axle (G).

It turns out you have to remove the entire rear shelf, flip it upside down,
drill out the heated melted posts of the speaker grill which are
permanently attaqched.

Once you drill out the old posts, you then insert the new posts using the
metal clips (which comes in the speaker grill parts bag from the dealer).
https://youtu.be/Ve-kcKxbXx4?t=575
Posted to alt.home.repair

He who is said on Sun, 19 Nov 2017 15:16:24 -0500:

Here are two links you can try :

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t952...r_removal.html

OMG. It's involved! They're "permanently" (heat melted" installed!
https://youtu.be/Ve-kcKxbXx4

Sometimes I offer to do things to help out, which I think are easy, which
turn out to be a disaster.

I should learn to keep my mouth shut when a neighbor mentions something
broken...
Posted to alt.home.repair

He who is Iggy said on Sun, 19 Nov 2017 20:44:03 GMT:

"Toyota Camry Rear Speaker and Grill Cover Removal 2002-2006"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve-kcKxbXx4

It's more involved than I wanted it to be.
https://youtu.be/Ve-kcKxbXx4?t=660

I need to learn my lesson and stop volunteering to do "easy" jobs for
others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to harry newton, Iggy wrote:
Agreed, I was surprised how stupid they got the things in there. I don't know
what's "unsightly" about screws.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...r-1151335-.htm