Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cover Concrete Block Garage Walls

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

--
It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If
you think about that, youll do things differently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 9:42:12 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

--
It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If
you think about that, youll do things differently.
- Warren Buffett

My first thought would be vinyl siding for the outside, paint for the inside.
If not paint, then drywall or paneling of your choice. A nice paint though
would work for me, unless the garage is being used for some special purpose..
Even public buildings like schools have painted block walls inside in most
areas. Plus it's easily renewable, changeable, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett writes:

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of
covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means
a craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

I called in Garage Tech:

https://www.garagetek.com/

and never regretted it.

I suppose you can do some of that yourself, but their
process for the garage floor looked like it required some
expertise.

If you want to stay with just the walls, I've seen those wall panels
at Home Depot.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 10:59:54 -0500, Dan Espen
wrote:

Wade Garrett writes:

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of
covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means
a craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

I called in Garage Tech:

https://www.garagetek.com/

and never regretted it.

I suppose you can do some of that yourself, but their
process for the garage floor looked like it required some
expertise.

If you want to stay with just the walls, I've seen those wall panels
at Home Depot.

"parge" or stucco the walls? Venetian plaster?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:42:05 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.
I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.
I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.
Ideas? Installation tips?

Perhaps a nice mural, on the outside .. :-)

https://favim.com/image/2228605/

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Wade Garrett writes:

[...]

This is what we did on our addition. (inside and out) It came out
great. The trick is you have to already have your electrical in place.
I did that when they laid the block and before they poured the doweled
cells and tie beam. It really looks like drywall and ended up being
cheaper but it is very tough. Water will not hurt it and that was my
interest at the time since this room is below "FEMA".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:42:05 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote in

I was thinking maybe drywall

That would be nice.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

Perhaps on the outside, match what you already have. My house is
stucco so it would be my 'only' choice.

Inside painted block walls are fine - using a light color (white) so
not to show as many imperfections. Drywall over block would might mean
more work with less satisfaction in the final result.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

Perhaps on the outside, match what you already have. My house is
stucco so it would be my 'only' choice.

Inside painted block walls are fine - using a light color (white) so
not to show as many imperfections. Drywall over block would might mean
more work with less satisfaction in the final result.

That would be my choice too. There are paints for block. I just did
one with a white sealer coat that looks so good I'm not putting on a top
coat. Years ago I did the same in my basement for underground walls
but those above ground I sealed with polyethylene sheet and framed,
insulated and covered with peg board painted white - good for hanging tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/17 9:42 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

--
It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If
you think about that, youll do things differently.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â* - Warren Buffett

Thanks for the suggestions, especially the easy solution of painting.
That hadn't occurred to me; I'll try to sell it- but I'm not optimistic

And just to clarify, I'm talking about the walls on the *inside* of the
garage only.

When I described one as exterior, what I meant was the other side of
that wall was the outside of the house. I mentioned exterior only
because I thought that it being pretty cold in the winter might affect
what I could put on it or how to do it. The other interior wall has a
laundry room on the other side.

--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2017 9:42 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

--
It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If
you think about that, youll do things differently.
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â* - Warren Buffett

Paint is the easiest. Is there any reason to insulate the walls? If
so, quick and easy is www.insofast.com Glue up the panels and screw
drywall to them. Works inside, outside can be stucco.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 18 Dec 2017 09:42:05 -0500, Wade Garrett
wrote:

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior).

I took this to mean both walls were inside the garage but one was on a
wall whose other side was outside the house. Am I right?

Everyone else who indicated seems to thinik the outside wall is outside
the house.

So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas?

Crushed velvet?.

Painted wallboard covered with beer bottle caps?

Installation tips?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The boss has decided that she is tired of looking at the two unpainted
concrete block walls in our garage (one exterior, one interior). So my
New Year's project is to come up with and install some kind of covering.

I was thinking maybe drywall or some sort of paneling- wood veneer or
maybe hardboard/Masonite or some such.

I'm fairly handy and know my way around most tools, but am by no means a
craftsman or finish carpenter.

Ideas? Installation tips?

Perhaps on the outside, match what you already have. My house is
stucco so it would be my 'only' choice.

Inside painted block walls are fine - using a light color (white) so
not to show as many imperfections. Drywall over block would might mean
more work with less satisfaction in the final result.

If the "Stucco" guy you hire is any good at all he can do the inside
walls with a smooth finish that will look just like drywall once you
paint it and it ends up being the cheapest option along with being the
most durable.