Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do i need internet from sectv?

I never use my dell pc but use my phones and tablets from att. Do i need 50 bucks a month internet from sectv to use my ****? Att does not offer internet in my area. Is wifi magic?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2017 6:46 PM, Thomas wrote:
I never use my dell pc but use my phones and tablets from att. Do i need 50 bucks a month internet from sectv to use my ****? Att does not offer internet in my area. Is wifi magic?

Do you have enough of a data plan for the phones? If so, then no, you
don't need cable. Maybe you can steal wifi from your neighbors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote:
I never use my dell pc but use my phones and tablets from att. Do i need 50 bucks a month internet from sectv to use my ****? Att does not offer internet in my area. Is wifi magic?

Could you write that properly if you wanted to? By the way, the answer
is yes: Wi-Fi is magic!
Posted to alt.home.repair

I could not that properly. Show what i should have typed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 6:58:18 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/12/2017 6:46 PM, Thomas wrote:
I never use my dell pc but use my phones and tablets from att. Do i need 50 bucks a month internet from sectv to use my ****? Att does not offer internet in my area. Is wifi magic?

Do you have enough of a data plan for the phones? If so, then no, you
don't need cable. Maybe you can steal wifi from your neighbors.

Usually, the PC is the easiest means of accessing the internet when at
home and the biggest consumer of data. If he doesn't use the PC, then
like you say, as long as the data plan is large enough for the other
devices, he doesn't need cable internet. He could use his cell phone
as a hotspot and access the internet from the PC on it too, as long as
his carrier and plan allows it. If the PC is just used once in awhile
and not for high usage things like playing videos, that could work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2017 7:20 PM, Thomas wrote:
I could not that properly. Show what i should have typed.

Paucity of capitals.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/12/2017 06:46 PM, Thomas wrote:
I never use my dell pc but use my phones and tablets from att. Do i need 50 bucks a month internet from sectv to use my ****?

Can tether your **** from smartphone?

Att does not offer internet in my area. Is wifi magic?

No wifi science is understood.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 12/12/2017 7:20 PM, Thomas wrote:
I could not that properly. Show what i should have typed.

Paucity of capitals.

And vagueness, ambiguity, obscenity... Surely a millennial who rather
didn't grow up with a cell phone. He asked what he should have typed:
He should refrain until he learns how...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 1:38:25 PM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 12/12/2017 7:20 PM, Thomas wrote:
I could not that properly. Show what i should have typed.

Paucity of capitals.

And vagueness, ambiguity, obscenity... Surely a millennial who rather
didn't grow up with a cell phone. He asked what he should have typed:
He should refrain until he learns how...

You guys do not need to be dicks. It was a question that i do not know the answer to because i do not know how wifi works. My caps? I get a free one at the start. Typing on a tablet. I would think the words expressed my question.
So, i need my internet to have my wifi? That is (not that's) what i (not I) was looking for.
If i had a keyboard i would type to your approval.

Thanks to some for steering me about this.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
On 12/12/2017 7:20 PM, Thomas wrote:
I could not that properly. Show what i should have typed.

Paucity of capitals.

And vagueness, ambiguity, obscenity... Surely a millennial who rather
didn't grow up with a cell phone. He asked what he should have typed:
He should refrain until he learns how...

You guys do not need to be dicks. It was a question that i do not know the answer to because i do not know how wifi works. My caps? I get a free one at the start. Typing on a tablet. I would think the words expressed my question.
So, i need my internet to have my wifi? That is (not that's) what i (not I) was looking for.
If i had a keyboard i would type to your approval.

Thanks to some for steering me about this.

Let's start with what you're trying to do. You said:

Thomas

Dec 12

"I never use my dell pc but use my phones and tablets from att. Do i need 50 bucks a month internet from sectv to use my ****? Att does not offer internet in my area. Is wifi magic?"

So, presumably your phones and tablets are on a data plan with ATT.
If you're talking about using wifi instead of ATT data plan for internet
access, then you need some wifi access point to connect to. Typically
for people at home, that's their wireless router that is connected to
an internet service, eg cable internet from the local cable company.
Or DSL, which is a lot slower, if cable isn't available, but DSL is.

If you don't have that, then you have to connect to something else.
If you're traveling, there are many hotspots that have free wifi.
Starbucks, Walmart, HD are some examples. In some select areas of the country,
there are wifi services available that you can pay for, if they have
coverage. But from a practical standpoint, by the time you pay for
it, you might as well pay the local cable guys $50 or whatever a month,
get the wireless router, and then you can connnect your stuff wirelessly
and the PC via ethernet or wireless and you'd have a 50Mbit/sec or better
quality connection that doesn't depend on reception.

If you want to find places locally that have free wifi, trying googling.
There are also apps for phones and tablets that will show you where
local hotspots are.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Me Me is offline

On 12/12/2017 6:46 PM, Thomas wrote:
Is wifi magic?

Is a cordless phone magic?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

Perfect. I need my internet service for my wifi at home. That was the ill informed question. I did not know if my wifi would work if i shut my pc off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

That depends on what the wifi from the other devices is being used for. For example, if wifi is going from your tablet directly to a printer, then sitting off the PC would have no effect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2017 06:21 PM, Me wrote:
On 12/12/2017 6:46 PM, Thomas wrote:
Is wifi magic?

Is a cordless phone magic?

If you could boost the power of your WAP to 1000w or so you could use it to cook a hot dog.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

Thank you trader. My wife has netflix on while she sleeps so just the data plan would suck. I cancelled norton at 105 bucks because we do not use our pc. I wondered if i could cancel the service (sectv internet) but what i believe is i need the service for wifi.
Today is a lovely day. Snow and slop. Looks nice. Thanks from pennsylvania.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:
[...]

I assume you have a smart TV or TV device that connects the TV to the sectv
internet service to stream Netflix, so yes, you need the cable internet
for that.

I cancelled norton at 105 bucks because we do not use our pc.

You right, you don't need it if you're not using the PC. If you need
AV in the future, usually there are very low price deals on Ebay.
I've gotten a year of service for 3 devices on there for less than
$10 a few times now. Whether a tablet needs it, a phone needs it,
IDK, you'll get differing opinions on that. But most of those plans
cover all of those now.

I wondered if i could cancel the service (sectv internet) but what i believe is i need the service for wifi.

Again, it depends on what wifi and what it's doing. You can run wifi
from your tablet or phone to a printer with wifi built-in, it will
work without cable internet or anything else. But you can't wifi from
the tablet or phone to the internet without the cable internet, because
there is no internet connection point. Unless you happen to have some wifi
hotspot service at your house.

Today is a lovely day. Snow and slop. Looks nice. Thanks from pennsylvania.

Started to snow here in NJ about an hour ago. Supposed to get 3".

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2017 4:08 PM, trader_4 wrote:
Started to snow here in NJ about an hour ago. Supposed to get 3".

If the drama queens at the Weather Channel haven't given your snowstorm a name, it's not a real snowstorm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just snow. 3 feet sucks, 3 inches just looks nice.