Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plug in GFI adaptors

For the safety of my livestock, I want to buy some of those plug in
GFI outlets, for all outlets which provide power to keep their water
tanks unthawed, using electrical heaters, placed in the water. I've
heard of these heaters going bad, and electrocuting an animal. So, I
put permanent GFI outlets in the exterior outlet boxes, using the
proper weatherproof boxes and covers. But it seems that I am replacing
those GFI outlets almost yearly. They just do not seem to last when
used outdoors, and I have gone out of my way to seal all seams in
those boxes with tape and silicone. It seems that moisture gets into
them, which kills them.

I just replaced several of them again, but I just put standard outlets
in those boxes this time, because I am tired of the cost and doing the
repair far too often.

For some of the outlets I put a GFI outlet indoors, which now feeds an
outside outlet. On another circuit I installed a GFI breaker. But
there are a few places, where there is an outlet on a pole outdoors,
which I can not do any of these things.

I am looking to buy some of these plug in GFIs that get plugged into
an outlet and then you plug the heater (or whatever) into that GFI
device. This way, if the device goes bad, I just plug in another one.
Plus I think most of them go bad during the warm weather from rain
getting inside the boxes, no matter how well I seal them. I dont think
snow gets inside the boxes as much.

Anyhow, I live in a rural area where stuff like this is not available
in the stores. I looked on Ebay and apparently I am not using the
correct search words. I tried "plug in GFI outlet", and was shown a
whole bunch of regular or wirein GFI outlets.... I tried "portable
GFI" and got darn near everything except what I am looking for.

Is there a specific name for these devices? I'm sure Ebay has them,
but i am not using the correct wording.....

Anyone know what words to search for????
Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Dec 2017 16:11:59 -0600, wrote:

[...]

Is this what you mean?

https://www.cableorganizer.com/images/TRC/extension-cords/images/02-Tri-Cord-gfci_14880-023.jpg

Just not use it on a GFCI circuit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 5:15:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

IDK about on Ebay, but plug in GFCI returns lots of hits on google.

Another alternative is a GFCI breaker in the panel, as long as going
there to reset it is acceptable. One breaker would protect the whole
shebang. Or if any of the receptacle locations are protected, accessible,
put one there and it will protect any downstream receptacles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/8/17 4:11 PM, wrote:
[...]

This doesn't answer your question but might be an alternative.
Drill a
couple small holes in the bottom of the boxes. That would let any
condensation
escape.
My mom used to say "unthawed" too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Have you tried a dead front device. (GFCI without the receptacles).
Then your box could be closed up tighter with a snap cover.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 4:15:22 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Defiant-...9036/203741464
Posted to alt.home.repair

And are you using an in use cover to keep rain out.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-DCL/301349016
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

[...]

Remember this is the decorated bovine guy.

--
Tekkie