Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Quality Craft toilet

Quality Craft toilet tank bolts may be steel and not stainless steel or brass and may rust and leak. You can check using a magnet to see. If the magnet sticks to the bolt it is probably plain steel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2017 12:13 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
Quality Craft toilet tank bolts may be steel and not stainless steel or brass and may rust and leak. You can check using a magnet to see. If the magnet sticks to the bolt it is probably plain steel.

Good to know, thank for sharing. I carry a magnet with me at all times
just to check toilet tank bolts. They will corrode faster if you pee on
them so use care.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 10:56:38 AM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/1/2017 12:13 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
Quality Craft toilet tank bolts may be steel and not stainless steel or brass and may rust and leak. You can check using a magnet to see. If the magnet sticks to the bolt it is probably plain steel.

Good to know, thank for sharing. I carry a magnet with me at all times
just to check toilet tank bolts. They will corrode faster if you pee on
them so use care.

I do the same thing Ed dose and I have had my magnet stick to a number
of stainless steel pots and pans I wanted to buy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 15:24:21 -0500, Frank wrote:

On 12/1/2017 2:50 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 11:09:03 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Friday, December 1, 2017 at 10:56:38 AM UTC-8, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/1/2017 12:13 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
Quality Craft toilet tank bolts may be steel and not stainless steel or brass and may rust and leak. You can check using a magnet to see. If the magnet sticks to the bolt it is probably plain steel.

Good to know, thank for sharing. I carry a magnet with me at all times
just to check toilet tank bolts. They will corrode faster if you pee on
them so use care.

I do the same thing Ed dose and I have had my magnet stick to a number
of stainless steel pots and pans I wanted to buy.

Yep. I bought my SS gas grill after using a magnet. Made sure the
burners were brass with SS grates.

Generally stainless steels are not magnetic but there are grades that
are. Depends on conditions of use. In chemical processes we used
different grades. Friend the other day was telling me that two company
plants using the same process gave a slightly different co-product. It
turned out to be that different grades of stainless were used and one
co-product contained more iron than the other.

My SS outdoor gas grill is non-magnetic. The fridge (lesser grade of
SS) is magnetic.

I tested the grill before I bought it, a rare earth magnet wouldn't
stick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2017 2:50 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

It's been decades since I worked testing it in the lab. If we had a new
chemical process that might be corrosive we could get SS coupons of many
grades to test. You'd weigh the dry coupon of steel then expose it to
your chemicals at length, remove and look for corrosion and weight loss.
The higher grades were more expensive and usually more difficult to
machine. Your fridge is probably fine with a lower grade but grills can
be tough.