Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaf Blower Starting Question

Hello,

Have the typical home Leaf Blower, an Echo
Model PB 2100.

Trying to get it started easily.

The Manual isn't too clear on this:

To start, we Prime the bulb the 10 times it says, and have the Choke on
Full.

But, are you also supposed to hold down the trigger while pulling ?

By trigger I mean what you squeeze to adjust the speed.

Thanks,
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 05:56:39 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have the typical home Leaf Blower, an Echo
Model PB 2100.

Trying to get it started easily.

The Manual isn't too clear on this:

To start, we Prime the bulb the 10 times it says, and have the Choke on
Full.

But, are you also supposed to hold down the trigger while pulling ?

By trigger I mean what you squeeze to adjust the speed.

Thanks,
Bob

Starting a 2 stroke is more art than science and you do what seems to
work best for that particular 2 stroke.
Opening the throttle is helpful if you flooded it, If for some strange
reason the mix is just right it will start at idle, usually when it is
warm.
With most of them full choke is really too much gas and it will flood.
If it runs a second and stops, turn off the choke, open the throttle
and give it a yank or two. That is what seems to work best on the
little 2 strokes I have.
Play with the throttle to keep it running until it settles down and
will idle OK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 4:04:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

The sears one here that I've been working on, the way I always started it was:

About 3 pushes of the bulb
Full choke
Pull until it fires
Half choke
Pull until it starts
Once running for 15 secs choke off

That's if it's cold. Warm use no choke, if that doesn't work, then try half choke.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2017 5:54 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 4:04:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 05:56:39 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hello,

Have the typical home Leaf Blower, an Echo
Model PB 2100.

Trying to get it started easily.

The Manual isn't too clear on this:

To start, we Prime the bulb the 10 times it says, and have the Choke on
Full.

But, are you also supposed to hold down the trigger while pulling ?

By trigger I mean what you squeeze to adjust the speed.

Thanks,
Bob

I have the large backpack model from Echo and the directions are just a
wee bit different in that I prime it 10x and after one or two pulls
(short, sharp pulls) on the cord, I move it to half choke whether it
starts or not. If it starts (as it usually does) then I let it warm up
a bit with the throttle at idle and the choke full OFF.

As previously stated, starting these up is more art (or witchcraft) than
science and you need to be in tune with your particular machine. I will
say this, however: Over the years I've owned a lot of different brands
and Echo is hands down the best running, longest last equipment of its
sort that I've found. Love it!

If your blower is catching but failing to keep running you may need to
adjust the idle just a bit to help it keep running until it warms up.

Trader's advice is pretty much on the mark as well, but, as I said each
of these machines is just a bit different in temperament.

A tip to take to the bank is to use the canned fuel from either Echo or
any of the other purveyors of pre-mixed fuel. Most of it is 93 Octane
with NO ALCOHOL. The last thing you want is alcohol in your 2cycle fuel
(or any yard equipment fuel). I've switched and now run up 15 miles and
buy 5 gallon cans of premium gasoline in Wisconsin to avoid the alcohol.