Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are there no lights in living rooms?

Everyone has answered this question. Not realizing theyve answered it.

Tv

Back when TVs became commercially available for homes many people couldnt afford more than one. So the single television in the home would go in the family room (hence the name) where everyone in the family would gather to watch the tele.

Since the tele emitted light, there was no point in putting a light in there. Plus light would interfere with being able to view the tele.

So it saved builders money to not put them in there. It worked well for the buyer because they didnt have the light in there to interfere with tv viewing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

How about gas lines running in all rooms for light.
Younguns
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2017 5:32 PM, Thomas wrote:
How about gas lines running in all rooms for light.
Younguns

Never saw them lit, but my one grandmother's house built in 1910 had
them. No central heat back then. Coal stove in the kitchen. When my
father was a kid (1920as) they would warm a brick on the stove and put
it in the bed at night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 7:07:00 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/8/2017 5:32 PM, Thomas wrote:
How about gas lines running in all rooms for light.
Younguns

Never saw them lit, but my one grandmother's house built in 1910 had
them. No central heat back then. Coal stove in the kitchen. When my
father was a kid (1920as) they would warm a brick on the stove and put
it in the bed at night.

I never had lit, just the pipes in the floors and walls.
I am an Aladdjn oil lamp fan. One burnnng 28 jnches from me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/08/2017 03:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Not true.* They did not put lights in even before TV was invented.
Ceiling lights give harsh lighting and people prefer to use lamps with
shades for easy on the eyes lighting with less shadowing.* Even with a
TV is is usually best to have some other light on.

But not in the middle of the room, where it's likely between you and the
TV. The middle of the room is also a bad place for a light, when you're
reading.

--
47 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Q: 'Let us pray for understanding and for compassion.' Picard: 'Let us
do no such damn thing.'"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2017 7:48 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/08/2017 03:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Not true.* They did not put lights in even before TV was invented.
Ceiling lights give harsh lighting and people prefer to use lamps with
shades for easy on the eyes lighting with less shadowing.* Even with a
TV is is usually best to have some other light on.

But not in the middle of the room, where it's likely between you and the
TV. The middle of the room is also a bad place for a light, when you're
reading.

That's why they sold TV lights. A lamp with a solid front that
sat on top of the TV, so the light shone on the wall.

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/2017 9:06 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/8/2017 7:48 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/08/2017 03:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Not true.* They did not put lights in even before TV was invented.
Ceiling lights give harsh lighting and people prefer to use lamps
with shades for easy on the eyes lighting with less shadowing.* Even
with a TV is is usually best to have some other light on.

But not in the middle of the room, where it's likely between you and
the TV. The middle of the room is also a bad place for a light, when
you're reading.

That's why they sold TV lights.* A lamp with a solid front that
sat on top of the TV, so the light shone on the wall.

Bill

They still do supposed to eliminate eye strain.
https://www.amazon.com/Luminoodle-TV.../dp/B01BKU7B7I
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:04:53 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/9/2017 9:06 AM, Bill Gill wrote:
On 11/8/2017 7:48 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/08/2017 03:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

Not true.* They did not put lights in even before TV was invented.
Ceiling lights give harsh lighting and people prefer to use lamps
with shades for easy on the eyes lighting with less shadowing.* Even
with a TV is is usually best to have some other light on.

But not in the middle of the room, where it's likely between you and
the TV. The middle of the room is also a bad place for a light, when
you're reading.

That's why they sold TV lights.* A lamp with a solid front that
sat on top of the TV, so the light shone on the wall.

Bill

They still do supposed to eliminate eye strain.
https://www.amazon.com/Luminoodle-TV.../dp/B01BKU7B7I

We wrapped the back of the flat screen in the bedroom with rope light
that comes on with the TV (an SSR connected to the USB port)
It works great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Could it be that we need more light now because we are more near sighted?

It is a fact that many more of us wear glasses than previously had to. I just don't know if that had any impact on choice of lighting.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/09/2017 08:06 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

[snip]

But not in the middle of the room, where it's likely between you and
the TV. The middle of the room is also a bad place for a light, when
you're reading.

That's why they sold TV lights.* A lamp with a solid front that
sat on top of the TV, so the light shone on the wall.

So the light comes to you from the same direction as the TV picture? I'd
expect that to be even worse. The light should be behind me.

BTW, I remember working behind a TV, where there was little light but it
was adequate. Then a "helpful" friend turned on a nearby lamp and the
area behind the TV went totally black.

Bill

--
45 days until the winter celebration (Monday December 25, 2017 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"It is possible to pay another man's debts on his behalf, but it is not
possible to make a guilty man innocent by suffering in his place." [Carl
Lofmark, _What is the Bible?_]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/10/2017 3:04 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 11/09/2017 08:06 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

[snip]

But not in the middle of the room, where it's likely between you and
the TV. The middle of the room is also a bad place for a light, when
you're reading.

That's why they sold TV lights.* A lamp with a solid front that
sat on top of the TV, so the light shone on the wall.

So the light comes to you from the same direction as the TV picture? I'd
expect that to be even worse. The light should be behind me.

BTW, I remember working behind a TV, where there was little light but it
was adequate. Then a "helpful" friend turned on a nearby lamp and the
area behind the TV went totally black.

Bill

It does seem counter intuitive, but yes, the light is behind the TV.
I've never tried one, but the idea is to soften the dark contrast
between room and screen.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 3:25:15 PM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 11/8/2017 2:10 PM, wrote:

[...]

Back home, I'd put a light behind my TV set to gently light up the wall behind the set. The lighted wall causes the pupils in your eyes to contract giving you a better focus and depth of field so you can see the TV better. Some of the newer LED sets actually have LED's behind the set to light up the wall behind the set. You can purchase an LED backlight kit from Amazon to put on the back of your flat screen TV. ヽ()ノ

https://www.amazon.com/LED-Backlight.../dp/B00390GFJS

[8~{} Uncle Lit Monster