Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Why aren't AA batteries square?

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 05:23:34 -0700, Colonel Edmund J. Burke wrote:

Is it cheaper to make batteries cylindrical or something?Â* If they were
square in crosssection, they wouldn't roll off the desk.

Same applies to your head, I suppose.

Which reminds me of Dr Sheldon Cooper's spherical chicken "joke". :-)

I know I'm late to this party but I just spotted this old thread and
couldn't resist checking some of the later, not yet expired/deleted
follow up postings. I suspect I may have made a contribution up thread
already. OTOH, seeing who the OP was, probably not.

Spherical battery cells would be even stronger than cylindrical with an
even greater volume to area ratio but would be more expensive to
manufacture and assemble into a high density battery pack.

In the case of a single cell "battery" such as those prismatic types
used in mobile (cell) phones and tablets, a spherical cell just wouldn't
be a very good fit inside of what is essentially a small slimline
rectangular box.

Oh, and answering the OP's question, they wouldn't be AA cells if they
were "square". The designation of "AA" or "R6" mandates their cylindrical
shape so the question, as posed, is rather pointless which considering
the source, should come as no surprise.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL), the Sociopathic Attention Whore

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 16:03:23 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

Oh, and answering the OP's question, they wouldn't be AA cells if they
were "square". The designation of "AA" or "R6" mandates their cylindrical
shape so the question, as posed, is rather pointless which considering
the source, should come as no surprise.

Your last paragraph is a circular argument :-)

No, it exposes what kind of a pointless idiot, i.e. troll, you are, Hucker!

--
More of Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL) usual sociopathic
bull****:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On 26/10/2017 13:49, Johnny B Good wrote:
[...]

Forget Sheldon Cooper's suggestion.

AA batteries are that shape so they fit into fit a vibrator.

--
Adam