Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to remove black backing from carpet

I am using a chisel to remove the black backing that is stuck onto the wooden
stairs. This stuff is turning into black powder was I work. Is this safe to
do? I am wearing a mask. Can I sell it with a shelack primer so it does not
bleed through to new carpet?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1148084-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 18:44:03 GMT, joanne M Menke
m wrote:

I am using a chisel to remove the black backing that is stuck onto the wooden
stairs. This stuff is turning into black powder was I work. Is this safe to
do? I am wearing a mask. Can I sell it with a shelack primer so it does not
bleed through to new carpet?

I feel dizzy after this. Details matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to joanne M Menke, Bobby wrote:
if it is just the foam rubber backing that dried out, no problem, the dust
mask is all you need. Scrape, sand,shellac is all you'd need.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1148084-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 2:44:07 PM UTC-4, joanne M Menke wrote:
I am using a chisel to remove the black backing that is stuck onto the wooden
stairs. This stuff is turning into black powder was I work. Is this safe to
do? I am wearing a mask. Can I sell it with a shelack primer so it does not
bleed through to new carpet?

First question would be why you need to remove it? Is new carpet going
over it? If so and it's flat, uniform, why not leave it. With new pad
and carpet it should be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 4:17:31 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 2:44:07 PM UTC-4, joanne M Menke wrote:

I am using a chisel to remove the black backing that is stuck onto the wooden
stairs. This stuff is turning into black powder was I work. Is this safe to
do? I am wearing a mask. Can I sell it with a shelack primer so it does not
bleed through to new carpet?

First question would be why you need to remove it? Is new carpet going
over it? If so and it's flat, uniform, why not leave it. With new pad
and carpet it should be fine.

Details, details, details. Posters from that hack group, HomeMoanersHub,
always leave them out; seems to be their hallmark.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 15:45:32 -0700 (PDT),
ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Details, details, details. Posters from that hack group, HomeMoanersHub,
always leave them out; seems to be their hallmark.

Do you know about Johnny Carson's 3 wives?
Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Details, details, details. Posters from that hack group, HomeMoanersHub,
always leave them out; seems to be their hallmark.

Do you know about Johnny Carson's 3 wives?

Nope, but I do believe all of them were named JoAnne if I'm not
mistaken.

Posted to alt.home.repair

ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Details, details, details. Posters from that hack group, HomeMoanersHub,
always leave them out; seems to be their hallmark.

Do you know about Johnny Carson's 3 wives?

Nope, but I do believe all of them were named JoAnne if I'm not
mistaken.

Joan, JoAnne, and JoAnna.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

m wrote:

I am using a chisel to remove the black backing that is stuck onto the wooden
stairs. This stuff is turning into black powder was I work. Is this safe to
do? I am wearing a mask. Can I sell it with a shelack primer so it does not
bleed through to new carpet?

I feel dizzy after this. Details matter.

She will give you a shellacking

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 12:38:51 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

Do you know about Johnny Carson's 3 wives?

Nope, but I do believe all of them were named JoAnne if I'm not
mistaken.

Joan, JoAnne, and JoAnna.

All brunettes, too.

Did they give good head?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/22/2017 2:44 PM, joanne M Menke wrote:
I am using a chisel to remove the black backing that is stuck onto the
wooden
stairs.Â* This stuff is turning into black powder was I work.Â* Is this
safe to
do?Â* I am wearing a mask.Â* Can I sell it with a shelack primer so it
does not
bleed through to new carpet?

Dust should not harm you but rule of thumb is if there is a dust haze, a
dust mask should be used.

I had the same problem on stairs and a vinyl floor and scraped up what I
could and just had new carpet and backing laid over it.