Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lamp safety

I just disassembled a table lamp and saw something new to me.

There was a small block in the base which from the way it was wired must
be a safety device to kill the power if a hot lead would touch the base.

Common "cold" with "hot" in and "hot" out plus one wire going to the
metal rod.

Looks like a good idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 08:16:31 -0500, philo wrote:

I just disassembled a table lamp and saw something new to me.

There was a small block in the base which from the way it was wired must
be a safety device to kill the power if a hot lead would touch the base.

Common "cold" with "hot" in and "hot" out plus one wire going to the
metal rod.

Looks like a good idea.

Are you sure it wasn't just a "touch controller"?
That is how they connect.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I converted my wife's dresser lamp to a touch control using a module from Menards. It makes it much easier when she needs to turn the lamp on or off and has wet or dirty hands, She can just touch any metal portion of the lamp with her wrist, or any part of her body, and it turns on or off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 10:57:20 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

I will toss the controller but keep some of the parts

If you want to fix it, you might find a new touch controller gizmo on Ebay.

They are cheap enough at Home Depot.
Just be aware you need a metal lamp that is not grounded for them to
work.
That combination scared me so I just used a little metal dongle
hanging down from the controller on the lamp in the kid's room.