Barb

Default Intercom doesn't work with new thermostat

We have a house built in the 70's with a Nutone intercom system.
The the intercom worked well (built-in base unit in kitchen, with
4 other units throught the house), UNTIL we replaced our forced-air
electric furnace with a NEW gas furnace and new Honeywell
thermostat.
Now, you can hear the voices faintly through the intercom, but
you have to turn-up the volume and there is a lot of static noise.

I realize that the thermostat and the intercom might share the
same wiring. Is it coincidence that our intercom doesn't work
when we got the new furnace?

What can I do to fix the intercom?

Thanks
Barb
Pop Rivet

I doubt it. Suspect the wiring was;pinched and shorted or
opened somwhere, or it was run off the furnace transformer.
Know anyone with enough know how to check it out?

Pop

"Barb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

PrecisionMachinisT

"Pop Rivet" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Nu tone is still around, many of the security and alarm system installers
carry their products.

But when we bought our place ours wasnt working either, so I disabled it,
and upon installation of cat5 network I also doubled each run and put in an
office type telephone system, the old paging speakers from the nutone now
being accessable from any telephone in the house....dialing #00 puts you
onto the paging system

--

SVL

m Ransley

Who instaled the furnace, call them back , it should be a free fix if
it is their fault.

TURTLE

"Barb" wrote in message
om...
We have a house built in the 70's with a Nutone intercom system.
The the intercom worked well (built-in base unit in kitchen, with
4 other units throught the house), UNTIL we replaced our forced-air
electric furnace with a NEW gas furnace and new Honeywell
thermostat.
Now, you can hear the voices faintly through the intercom, but
you have to turn-up the volume and there is a lot of static noise.

I realize that the thermostat and the intercom might share the
same wiring. Is it coincidence that our intercom doesn't work
when we got the new furnace?

What can I do to fix the intercom?

Thanks
Barb

This is Turtle.

The newer gas furnaces use the Ground wire for the grounding the 24 volt control
voltage. Yes I said Ground wire and not Common wire of the 115 volt service. The
All Electric 220 volt service electrice furnace or called Air handler did not
use the Ground wire of any 115 volt service. They had to get to a 115 volt
service in your house and then the gas furnace and intercom are in some way
common to each other now.

I can't see it from here but I would say get the Intercom 115 volt service and
the 115 volt service for the gas furnace seperated on different circuits. The
only thing I can be seeing here as to the problem is either your not Grounding
the furnace and intercom at all or they are common together on the same circuit.
The only way for a gas furnace to effect the intercom would be it is common in
some way to both electrically. Both using the same power source 115 volt service
, common wires, and ground wires. I don't know about intercom systems but I
would think they would have to have 115 volt service to make them run and that
service is in some way common to the furnace power supply, ground wire , or
common wire.

Gas furnaces now days will use the ground wire to discharge any built up power /
static power from the relay boards / computor boards of the furnace.

Now here is a wild one that I have seen happen when Gas furnaces start messing
with other circuits in the home. The Ground wire outside at the meter pan was
not grounding properly. Check the wire as to being hooked up and if some dig
around the ground rod down about 6 inches and fill it with water and keep it
fill for about 5 minutes and then try the intercom to working right. It is works
right , you have a ground rod grounding problem.

Now you got me going out on a limb suggesting things here without me seeing it.

TURTLE

---

flyer

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Turtle, thanks for the info. We also have a 70's era Nutone intercom that I
would like to decommision and tear out of the walls. Am I looking at messing
up my 1-year new HVAC system if I start tearing out the intercom? How much
of that 115 volt supply is there? I thought it was all a low voltage
circuit. I'd appreciate any of your thoughts.

TURTLE

"flyer" wrote in message ...

"TURTLE" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote in message
om...
[...]

This is turtle.

I don't see any problem with ripping out the intercom you have and all the wire
with it but just don't rip any of the hvac system wires with it. They should be
totally seperate from the hvac system and the intercom system.

If you like E-Mail me and discuss it farther if you like or post here.

TURTLE

---