Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Nails too deep set to remove. Know a trick? Need to save the wood.

Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol. First is
this porch, idky theres a gap but its causing everything to be bowed. I just
need to move it down to even it off but the nails are too deep set. Need to
save the wood to reuse it but it wasnt weather treated so its falling apart.
Whats a trick to get these nails out without damaging the wood? I dont have a
drill, only a mini hammer and mini crowbar.. Ok guys ty for any help.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/av

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-5, Dizzy wrote:
Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol. First is
this porch, idky theres a gap but its causing everything to be bowed. I just
need to move it down to even it off but the nails are too deep set. Need to
save the wood to reuse it but it wasnt weather treated so its falling apart.
Whats a trick to get these nails out without damaging the wood? I dont have a
drill, only a mini hammer and mini crowbar.. Ok guys ty for any help.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/av

Can you go under the porch and hit the wood from the bottom to loosen it???
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:44:01 GMT, Dizzy
m wrote:

Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol. First is
this porch, idky theres a gap but its causing everything to be bowed. I just
need to move it down to even it off but the nails are too deep set. Need to
save the wood to reuse it but it wasnt weather treated so its falling apart.
Whats a trick to get these nails out without damaging the wood? I dont have a
drill, only a mini hammer and mini crowbar.. Ok guys ty for any help.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/av

Dizzy,

The photo sort of made me dizzy. Maybe you need a "cat's paw" to pry
the nails out. If the wood is really "falling apart", a little claw
mark may not look bad.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol. First is
this porch, idky theres a gap but its causing everything to be bowed. I just
need to move it down to even it off but the nails are too deep set. Need to
save the wood to reuse it but it wasnt weather treated so its falling apart.
Whats a trick to get these nails out without damaging the wood? I dont have a
drill, only a mini hammer and mini crowbar.. Ok guys ty for any help.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/av

Dizzy,

The photo sort of made me dizzy. Maybe you need a "cat's paw" to pry
the nails out. If the wood is really "falling apart", a little claw
mark may not look bad.

If it's falling apart bad, why does he need to save the wood to begin with?
I agree about the pic, not clear what part he's talking about. If he
lacks even basic tools, probably shouldn't be doing the job at all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Hey ! those nails look a lot like screws to me ..
It's why they are so sunken-in ... duh.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol. First is
this porch, idky theres a gap but its causing everything to be bowed. I just
need to move it down to even it off but the nails are too deep set. Need to
save the wood to reuse it but it wasnt weather treated so its falling apart.
Whats a trick to get these nails out without damaging the wood? I dont have a
drill, only a mini hammer and mini crowbar.. Ok guys ty for any help.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/av

Saw the nails between the boards and drive them out from the bottom.

... yep - that sounds easy .. not.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Â* Really ? It is fairly obvious to me that the support for the floor
has problems . The floor has sagged at that post , dragging the bottom
rail of the railing system with it . Bottom rail should have been
attached to the post and not the floor , but oh well . Get under there
and prop it up with bricks or something .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol. First is
this porch, idky theres a gap but its causing everything to be bowed. I just
need to move it down to even it off but the nails are too deep set. Need to
save the wood to reuse it but it wasnt weather treated so its falling apart.
Whats a trick to get these nails out without damaging the wood? I dont have a
drill, only a mini hammer and mini crowbar.. Ok guys ty for any help.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/av

Dizzy,

The photo sort of made me dizzy. Maybe you need a "cat's paw" to pry
the nails out. If the wood is really "falling apart", a little claw
mark may not look bad.

My eyes are old but they look like screws to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Should have looked at your comment before attaching to Oren's. Now we
have a consensus, they are screws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2017 5:27 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 9/25/17 5:42 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Yep, looks like screws to me. You might get lucky and be able to get
them out. Remove the stiles and runners as a unit repair them, jack up
the porch then put it all back. Try not to disturb ur friend's game
playing while you're at it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/17 5:41 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 9/25/2017 4:09 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 4:19:23 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:44:01 GMT, Dizzy
m wrote:

Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house.Â* Video
games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol.
First is
this porch, idky theres a gap but its causing everything to be
bowed. I just
need to move it down to even it off but the nails are too deep set.
Need to
save the wood to reuse it but it wasnt weather treated so its
falling apart.
Whats a trick to get these nails out without damaging the wood? I
dont have a
drill, only a mini hammer and mini crowbar.. Ok guys ty for any help.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/av

Dizzy,

The photo sort of made me dizzy.Â* Maybe you need a "cat's paw" to pry
the nails out. If the wood is really "falling apart", a little claw
mark may not look bad.

If it's falling apart bad, why does he need to save the wood to begin
with?
I agree about the pic, not clear what part he's talking about.Â* If he
lacks even basic tools, probably shouldn't be doing the job at all.

Â* Really ? It is fairly obvious to me that the support for the floor
has problems . The floor has sagged at that post , dragging the bottom
rail of the railing system with it . Bottom rail should have been
attached to the post and not the floor , but oh well . Get under there
and prop it up with bricks or something .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Propping it up might be the simplest. There are screw jacks
made to lift sagging houses and such. Maybe small versions of those
would do the trick.
The proper name for those things escapes me now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Snag

Propping it up might be the simplest. There are
screw jacks
made to lift sagging houses and such. Maybe small versions
of those
would do the trick.
The proper name for those things escapes me now.

bottle jacks, but a farm jack has a lower clearance and
would be a beter choice

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Jack post is what I was thinking of.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dizzy" m wrote in
message ...
Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video games
are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol. First
is
this porch, idky theres a gap but its causing everything to be bowed. I
just
need to move it down to even it off but the nails are too deep set. Need
save the wood to reuse it but it wasnt weather treated so its falling
apart.
Whats a trick to get these nails out without damaging the wood? I dont
have a
drill, only a mini hammer and mini crowbar.. Ok guys ty for any help.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/av

1. I can't tell if the fastenings are screws or nails. Yes, the DECK has
screws but there is only one fastener in the rail that looks like it MIGHT
be a screw and that is where the baluster is loose at the bottom.

2. Don't worry about trying to jack up the deck, that isn;t the problem.

3. Don't worry about taking out fasteners, you don't need to.

Your problem appears to be because the top rail has bowed. You could knock
it off and replace but you'd wind up pretty much rebuilding the whole thing
because knocking off the top rail is likely going to disrupt the balusters
at the bottom as well as the top.

The alternative to replacement is fixing and to do that you need to bend the
top rail back down. A pipe clamp between the rail top and underside of the
deck would work. Once repositioned, keep it there by screwing a short piece
of 2x4 to the post so that the end is against the repositioned rail.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 26 Sep 2017 08:37:36 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

"Dizzy" m wrote in
message ...
[...]

Crikey .. are we looking at the same photo ?
It's obvious that the 4 x 4 has heaved up ~ 1 1/2 inches -
taking the 2 side-pieces with it forming the holes under them
and the two top-rails angling down away from it - as evidenced
by the angled joints.
Given such limited information - any advice on repairs would require
a site visit - not a poor photo and a poor description.
In general - I'd be a little worried about this deck - what else
might be wonky and perhaps dangerous ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
news
[...]

I'm pretty sure we are seeing the same photo. I've seen lots of 2x4s warped
around like a pretzel - especially when they are outdoors and unpainted -
but have never encountered a "heaved up" 4x4. What would do that? Has to
be a considerble force especially if, as I suspect, the 4x4 is holding up a
porch roof. Plate tectonics? Earthquake? A herd of giant gophers? Errant
sky hook?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 27-Sep-17 7:52 AM, dadiOH wrote:

I'm pretty sure we are seeing the same photo. I've seen lots of 2x4s warped
around like a pretzel - especially when they are outdoors and unpainted -
but have never encountered a "heaved up" 4x4. What would do that? ...

Lots of things, most common frost heave or clay soil water movement.

Alternatively, it could be the rest has sagged and this one is the one
with the solid-enough foundation to have remained roughly in original
position.

Or, it could be relative movement of both directions with that the
resultant at just the one position.

As someone else said, only seeing the whole thing in context will have
any chance of a realistic answer as to what has actually happened.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Dizzy, Iggy wrote:
Dizzy, I have to agree with hrhofmann and/or hubops. Either the screws rotted
out and the deck's structure let go...VERY BAD! Or, that the 4x4 in the center
of the picture heaved up from freezing.

If the structure's no longer attached, you need to pull the floorboard out and
jack the structure back up to then properly re-attach. This will fix the
baluster connections and remove the rails' sag in the middle and, of course,
remove all floor gaps.

If just the 4x4 has heaved, evidence being the 2x4's attached to only it and
nothing else. Then, you'd remove and re-attached the 4x4's 2x4's flush down to
the floor again...hoping the heaving is done. You'd basically just be dropping
the rails back down so they're in contact with everything again.

To be of any help to your bestie, address the causes and not just the
symptoms. Then, you should convince her to lose the trailer-trash-look and
Solid Stain everything...it's very much like paint, but it doesn't peel or
need scraping and only re-application of more Solid Stain in 15-years.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1145379-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 27 Sep 2017 08:52:29 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

wrote in message
news
[...]

OK perhaps the whole deck - except the 4 x 4 - has sunk about
1 1/2 inches ... either way - ain't good.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.2600

m wrote:

Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video
games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol.

Did you show her yer "pile driver" yet?

would you have some nestle quick?

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Iggy, Iggy wrote:
In other words. No, there's no trick to removing the screws/nails beyond the
digging them out with a Cat's Paw Tool or cutting them with a Reciprocating
Saw. If they're all screws, as they appear to be, then you won't be able to
get them out (nor the new ones in) with a hand screwdriver and will need a
power-drill or impact-drill to make quick and easy work of them...do not
re-use the old ones.

1 tip to not have to replace the wood, is to do your damage and then simply
flip the board over to the undamaged side before re-attaching.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1145379-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 1:33:53 PM UTC-5, Tekkie® wrote:
dadiOH posted for all of us...

I'm pretty sure we are seeing the same photo. I've seen lots of 2x4s warped
around like a pretzel - especially when they are outdoors and unpainted -
but have never encountered a "heaved up" 4x4. What would do that? Has to
be a considerble force especially if, as I suspect, the 4x4 is holding up a
porch roof. Plate tectonics? Earthquake? A herd of giant gophers?

Gerbils
--
Tekkie

Giant mutant gerbils with laser beams coming out of their eyes! ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Mutant Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.2600

m wrote:

Im trying to help my best friend fix stuff around her house. Video
games are
what her 'man' around here is good at so she calls her bestie lol.

Did you show her yer "pile driver" yet?

would you have some nestle quick?

I probably would, if I knew what the **** that was!

like what?