Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gate adjustment

The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 11:50:11 AM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

I think it's going to be hard to figure out what's wrong from pics
without actually being there. If you have to lift the one side slightly,
what happens if you use tighten the wire on that side to lift it a bit?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/2017 8:50 AM, badgolferman wrote:
The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

It's really hard to tell much from those pics, and it's not obvious what
is not working right from your description. Are the gates too close
together, so the latch will not go all the way down? Are the supporting
posts no longer vertical, so the tops of the gates are closer together?
If somehow, the problem is just that the latch is too low, it looks like
it can be easily raised.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

just looks to me like the right gate needs
to be let out a little bit. can't tell what
else might be going on. perhaps freeze-thaw
frost heaved it and you didn't notice.

how did you set the posts?

This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0
This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.
I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

Those are rather long gates and, even though I could not make out the
hinges, I suspect they are not very beefy.
Take a careful look at the hinges on the post attached to the
structure, I would not be surprised if you have a cracked weld or a
bent pin.
I would also examine how the post is anchored, both to the ground and
possibly to the structure.
Lastly, carefully examine the wire rope clamps and ensure they are not
loose and that the cable hasn't slipped.
Please let me know what you discover.

Also - it looks like the gates are bolted construction ? rather
than welded .. ? see if they have slipped out-of-square.
.. someone jumping on them perhaps - or swinging hard open
and distorting ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 15:50:08 +0000 (UTC), "badgolferman"
wrote:

The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

Could you add some pics of the post supports on the low side? Maybe
something has shifted. The ground, wall or a pillar... WAG

(in a worst case scenario, perhaps a caster wheel under the low side
at where the gates meet)

https://31.media.tumblr.com/37cd5ce51a82b78a1d0b358ccda1c4cf/tumblr_inline_my9l15iLLi1srdabj.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Obviously out of line but pics don't show enough of the whole thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One poster mentioned KIDS. They can tear up a crow bar riding on the
gate ;-)

OP: pics of each gate support, hinge, pins - stability. Level of the
ground if shifted...something in your case has changed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

Okay, I have posted new pictures for you to view. There are pictures
of each post and the gate.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

house post 1-5 shows the post nearest the house and how it's mounted.
The gate is attached to the post with clamps and none have shifted.

dirt post 1-3 show the post on the other side. It is slightly not
plumb and the gate is attached to it securely.

gate 1-4 show the gates are level and the distance apart from each
other are roughly equal.

The entire problem is that the latch on one gate is too close to the
other gate. I must lift the opposite gate to let the latch hinge down
and fall into place. You will see the rust from the scratches made by
the latch over time. I have also replaced the turnbuckle since the old
one broke from me trying to adjust it. This gate was already there
when I bought the house so I don't know how the dirt post was mounted
but it's secure and doesn't move.

What are the basic techniques for adjusting gates such as this? All I
know to do is to level the gates and make sure the gap between them is
equal. How do I shift one gate sideways to make more of a gap between
the two when they meet up?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

Back again. How long was the level? For this project use at least a
six foot level and not a plumber's ~ 6-8 inch torpedo level. Just
sayin'. Longer levels are the better method.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 18-Sep-17 3:59 PM, badgolferman wrote:

dirt post 1-3 show the post on the other side. It is slightly not
plumb and the gate is attached to it securely.

gate 1-4 show the gates are level and the distance apart from each
other are roughly equal.

Both posts show a lean in yet the gate itself is nearly level -- this
can only be so if the frame of the gate has been pulled out of square to
make a parallelogram.

Have you measured the diagonals; they will, I'm pretty certain not the
same indicating the above.

The entire problem is that the latch on one gate is too close to the
other gate. ...

What are the basic techniques for adjusting gates such as this? All I
know to do is to level the gates and make sure the gap between them is
equal. How do I shift one gate sideways to make more of a gap between
the two when they meet up?

Raising the posts back to vertical will pull the two back apart
again--the multiplier by the length will make it seem quite a lot in
comparison the the actual movement at the post. The one by the house is
pretty easy--somebody already put in a threaded rod to be able to crank
it back towards the house.

The other one will be more difficult; possibly since it looks like
they're bolted down you can manage to shim under the inside side with a
washer or two.

As noted earlier, looks to me like there's been shifting of at least
some of the structural pieces tying the thing together and the one of
the earlier set near the latch set surely looks to me like it's shifted
such that the overall length is longer than what was initially -- unless
what looks like paint markings are something other than what appear to be.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 18-Sep-17 4:57 PM, dpb wrote:

The other one will be more difficult; possibly since it looks like
they're bolted down you can manage to shim under the inside side with a
washer or two.

I'd already closed the link before; didn't remember the details on the
dirt side -- just looked again. Too much dirt/leaves/etc. to tell the
mounting -- is it also on a poured base or just buried like a regular
fence post? I was presuming both had a similar base bracket as the one
at the house from the symmetry argument but it isn't apparent from the
picture.

You'll have to see how that one is supported; if it is just in the
ground will have to dig on the back side and try to reset plumb; may
need to add a deadman or some other way to get support similar to what
was done by tying the other end post to the house--clearly somebody
already had had similar problems...

If you do square them back up again, it just |might| be that you'll gain
enough simply from the one end to give the latch sufficient clearance again.

The second set of pictures wiped out the first so couldn't see the ones
with the cable any more. Where would do the most good would be as
crossing diagonals on the gate frame itself to stop them from racking if
can't do the tack weld to fix them permanently square once get them back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/18/17 10:50 AM, badgolferman wrote:
The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

Could it be just the wear of the mounting brackets and the L
shaped hooks supporting the gate? I bet a hardware store would have
the L hooks, (what ever the proper term is).
I'm guessing you've tried moving the latch up or down. Would it
work if it was at the top of the gate? I know there are air bladder
type things to push stuff apart. Nothing comes to mind off hand that
would fit between the 1/2 gates to push them apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman posted for all of us...

badgolferman wrote:

[...]

Think of it as hanging a door in a frame. Maybe look at some Utube vids and
work from there.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

[...]

I have figured out what the problem is. The dirt post is leaning in too
far. When I pulled on it and had someone close the latch everything worked
properly. Now I have to figure out how to fix that. I'm not digging
anything up, but I think I can attach something to my post and use the wood
post next to it as support. The wood post seems stable enough. Maybe some
wire would work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 19-Sep-17 3:41 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I have figured out what the problem is. The dirt post is leaning in too
far. When I pulled on it and had someone close the latch everything worked
properly. Now I have to figure out how to fix that. I'm not digging
anything up, but I think I can attach something to my post and use the wood
post next to it as support. The wood post seems stable enough. Maybe some
wire would work.

As I noted, _both_ are showing leaning from plumb in the pictures and
that fixing that would pull the gates back apart.

Note that from the pictures, when you are plumb again the gate will show
it's not level as the top was level when the end wasn't plumb as it
was...did you check on just how far out of square they really are?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 20:41:24 -0000 (UTC), badgolferman
wrote:

badgolferman wrote:
badgolferman wrote:

[...]

Perhaps. Even pull it over using a turnbuckle method.

https://tinyurl.com/y9hcke25

Check the post for plumb with a six foot level.
--
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up."
-- Lily Tomlin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 20:21:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 19-Sep-17 3:41 PM, badgolferman wrote:

I have figured out what the problem is. The dirt post is leaning in too
far. When I pulled on it and had someone close the latch everything worked
properly. Now I have to figure out how to fix that. I'm not digging
anything up, but I think I can attach something to my post and use the wood
post next to it as support. The wood post seems stable enough. Maybe some
wire would work.

As I noted, _both_ are showing leaning from plumb in the pictures and
that fixing that would pull the gates back apart.

Note that from the pictures, when you are plumb again the gate will show
it's not level as the top was level when the end wasn't plumb as it
was...did you check on just how far out of square they really are?

....and do the diagonal measurements which was suggested?
--
"No matter how cynical you become, it's never enough to keep up."
-- Lily Tomlin
Posted to alt.home.repair

badgolferman wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...ueQQETnu41x4aH
qa?dl=0 This used to work nicely before but in the past six
months something has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates
to the same height using the guide wires, but the non-latch side
always must be lifted to have the latch catch it. Right now I
have the gate offset by an inch or so and it still isn't
matching up. The latch won't swing down without lifting the
non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have been checked
with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the two is
too close.
I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these
types of gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

Okay, I have posted new pictures for you to view. There are
pictures of each post and the gate.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...QQETnu41x4aHqa
?dl=0 house post 1-5 shows the post nearest the house and how it's
[...]

I have fixed it temporarily.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e50njs2guu...%2025.jpg?dl=0

Now I just need to let the vegetation grow out and hide it or come up
with a better solution. It will have to be something other than
digging it up though.