Posted to alt.home.repair

Default gate adjustment

On 9/18/17 10:50 AM, badgolferman wrote:
The gate to my back yard is not lining up properly and the latch will
not close without lots of manipulation. There are photos at the below
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i2j88xoyl...u41x4aHqa?dl=0

This used to work nicely before but in the past six months something
has changed. I've tried leveling the two gates to the same height
using the guide wires, but the non-latch side always must be lifted to
have the latch catch it. Right now I have the gate offset by an inch
or so and it still isn't matching up. The latch won't swing down
without lifting the non-latch side up. The posts and the gates have
been checked with a level and seems fine yet the distance between the
two is too close.

I've tried looking for a guide online on how to adjust these types of
gates properly but came up empty handed. Any tips?

Could it be just the wear of the mounting brackets and the L
shaped hooks supporting the gate? I bet a hardware store would have
the L hooks, (what ever the proper term is).
I'm guessing you've tried moving the latch up or down. Would it
work if it was at the top of the gate? I know there are air bladder
type things to push stuff apart. Nothing comes to mind off hand that
would fit between the 1/2 gates to push them apart.