toller

Default Modifying a transfer switch

I am finally going to install a transfer switch; an Emergen 6-5000. It has
a recessed plug in the face.

I want to remove the plug and cover it with a piece of sheet metal. I will
then cut a hole (preferably in the top of the box, but in the new sheet
metal if necessary) for a cable clamp and hardwire a cable to the switch.
Then run the cable the length of the house to a plug where I run my
generator. (In the garage with doors propped open at the front and back )

Is there any hideous flaw in this scheme that I am overlooking? Thanks

m Ransley

Why hack into a prewired box, you loose your warranty for 1 and maybe
more. I agree the socket is crappy but there are other options.

For 200 you can get a 6 circuit 2 wattmeters prewired box with
exterior box , with sockets, and plugs and 10f of cable for your gen. It
was a 4 hr install. They even give these away free on ocasion at Lowes
if you buy a generac.

toller

"m Ransley" wrote in message
Why hack into a prewired box, you loose your warranty for 1 and maybe
more. I agree the socket is crappy but there are other options.

For 200 you can get a 6 circuit 2 wattmeters prewired box with
exterior box , with sockets, and plugs and 10f of cable for your gen. It
was a 4 hr install. They even give these away free on ocasion at Lowes
if you buy a generac.

Because:
1) I already bought the transfer switch for $100
2) My gnerator is about 75' from the switch, and the 10f cable won't stretch
that far

zxcvbob

toller wrote:

I am finally going to install a transfer switch; an Emergen 6-5000. It has
a recessed plug in the face.

I want to remove the plug and cover it with a piece of sheet metal. I will
then cut a hole (preferably in the top of the box, but in the new sheet
metal if necessary) for a cable clamp and hardwire a cable to the switch.
Then run the cable the length of the house to a plug where I run my
generator. (In the garage with doors propped open at the front and back )

Is there any hideous flaw in this scheme that I am overlooking? Thanks

Is this a manual transfer switch, or automatic? If it's manual, why not
make a 70' extension cord that matches the recessed plug and the
twistlock (or whatever) socket on the generator? Roll it out when you
need it. You gotta go out there with a flashlight and start the
generator anyway.

I probably wouldn't even use a proper heavy-duty flexable cord (STJO?);
I'd use UF or SE cable cuz it's cheaper and it won't be used all that
often. (If I used NM-B or triplex or quadplex I wouldn't admit it here)

Best regards,
Bob

m Ransley

70ft , that 10ga isnt enough, maybe 8 or 6, have fun.