Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generator Neutral & Ground Question

Got a portable generator recently. Would like to eventually wire in a transfer switch for my house and run a few selected rooms. My generator has the neutral bonded to the frame. You are also supposed to ground the generator frame. Seeing as it's portable they tell you to pound a grounding rod into the ground and wire your ground lug on the frame to that.

I'm going to jack it into my house, so I think I can just use the same ground that runs through my house. Every 120V outlet will have a ground connection so getting to this ground be easy with a custom cable or modified extension cord.

If I ground my generator to the same ground that the power company provided to my house, I believe I can use a standard 2-Pole transfer switch that does not have the special third pole to switch my house circuits over to my generator neutral....basic transfer switches just connect the neutrals together (house and generator). So that's what I want to do. House Neutral is connected to Generator Neutral. House Neutral is also bonded to House Ground (by the power company, not me) and Generator Ground (frame of generator) is connected to house ground (this one by me). I think this avoids all the problems with ground loops and GFIC outlets on the generator tripping....

I can't see why this doesn't work BUT there are articles all over the internet describing this problem. I've not seen this simple solution mentioned. It's always you need to buy a special and more expensive transfer switch or you need to modify your generator and remove the ground-neutral bond. It seems to be a source of great confusion.

Can anyone see a problem with method I'm describing?