Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hidden telephone cable

How can I find a telephone cable (without a phone jack) that is covered by wallpaper in my room?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/26/2017 10:19 AM, Bob wrote:
How can I find a telephone cable (without a phone jack) that is covered by wallpaper in my room?

You can use one of these to trace wires in a wall:

https://www.amazon.com/Tacklife-Coll.../dp/B01MQO7VRD

but if you have an unfinished basement or attic, it might be better/faster/cheaper/easier to just run a new twisted pair cat5 cable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/17 10:19 AM, Bob wrote:
How can I find a telephone cable (without a phone jack) that is covered by wallpaper in my room?

Look for a long, thin bulge in the wall paper. The phone line will be
right under it ;-)

If you can't see it, run your hands over the wall; same results.

--
Before beginning, plan carefully.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 11:07:01 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 8/26/17 10:19 AM, Bob wrote:
How can I find a telephone cable (without a phone jack) that is covered by wallpaper in my room?

Look for a long, thin bulge in the wall paper. The phone line will be
right under it ;-)

If you can't see it, run your hands over the wall; same results.

--
Before beginning, plan carefully.
- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Yeah, I was wondering how a cable that is just under wallpaper isn;t obvious
to find too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

The telephone cable is in the hole in the drywall that is covered by the wallpaper

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 26, 2017 at 9:19:10 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
How can I find a telephone cable (without a phone jack) that is covered by wallpaper in my room?

Use the braille method suggested by an earlier poster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/17 9:19 AM, Bob wrote:
How can I find a telephone cable (without a phone jack) that is covered by wallpaper in my room?

Would just pressing against the wallpaper with your finger
work? I was trying to think of a tool with a small roller that would
depress the wallpaper when it rolled over the hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2017 10:19 AM, Bob wrote:
How can I find a telephone cable (without a phone jack) that is covered by wallpaper in my room?

Use an infrared camera for your smartphone.

https://www.electronicproducts.com/u...R_sensor_3.jpg

You may be able to view the slight variation where the hole is located.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I found the cable hiding behind the wallpaper.

I expected to find the end of the cable but I found a loop. See photo at:

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/gc...tml?sort=2&o=6

How do I install a telephone jack to this cable?

Note: My house has three working phone jacks so I don't want to mess them up
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

I found the cable hiding behind the wallpaper.

I expected to find the end of the cable but I found a loop. See photo at:

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/gc...tml?sort=2&o=6

How do I install a telephone jack to this cable?

Note: My house has three working phone jacks so I don't want to mess them up

Normally only 2 wires are used, the red and green. There are probably 4
wires in the cable with 2 not used unless you have more than one line.

A common telephone circuit is just 2 parallel wires, the red and green.
Whatever phones you have just hook across those lines. The line will
normally have less than 15 volts on it,so safe to work on unless someone
dials in and you get the 90 volts of puslating voltage. Probably will
not harm you,but will sure make you jump and hirt yourself.

If you want a phone jack at that spot, just cut the wires, and find a
phone jack that has 4 screws in it. If you are careful you can just
peel back the insulation on the red and green wires and put them under
the correct screws of the new jack with out even cutting the wires. Not
often,but sometimes you will have to reverse the red and green wires
going to the phone to make them work and ring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/28/17 3:56 PM, Bob wrote:
I found the cable hiding behind the wallpaper.

I expected to find the end of the cable but I found a loop. See photo at:

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/gc...tml?sort=2&o=6

How do I install a telephone jack to this cable?

Note: My house has three working phone jacks so I don't want to mess them up

Get a jack same/similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-40249...telephone+jack

Depending on how the wire is routed behind the walls, other phones may
be "downstream" from here, that's why it is looped, so try not to cut
the wires, but trim back enough insulation to loop the wires under the
screw terminals.

Use a wire stripper if available, otherwise small sharp knife like an
Xacto.
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Correction: I know of two (not three) working phone jacks in my house.

I conclude that the loop leads from the bedroom phone jack and goes to the kitchen phone jack.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 12:56:37 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

I found the cable hiding behind the wallpaper.

I expected to find the end of the cable but I found a loop. See photo at:

http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/gc...tml?sort=2&o=6

How do I install a telephone jack to this cable?

Note: My house has three working phone jacks so I don't want to mess them up

generally by skinning the wires and looping them over the screws of
the jack
Posted to alt.home.repair

The Leviton 40249-W Standard Telephone Wall Jack uses FOUR wires in the telephone cable:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....BL._SX355_.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 12:58:38 AM UTC-4, Bob wrote:
The Leviton 40249-W Standard Telephone Wall Jack uses FOUR wires in the telephone cable:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....BL._SX355_.jpg

the red and green are needed for a standard single line phone

the yellow and black are often not needed, they are needed only for a two line phone or for other accessories such as lights etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 28 Aug 2017 21:58:31 -0700 (PDT), Bob
wrote:

The Leviton 40249-W Standard Telephone Wall Jack uses FOUR wires in the telephone cable:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....BL._SX355_.jpg

Yes, the jack uses 4 because it can support 2 lines. Only 2 wires
will be "active" in better than 90% of residential installations.
There are a FEW residential installations with 2 active lines
Posted to alt.home.repair

My house has only one line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/28/2017 03:28 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

[snip]

A common telephone circuit is just 2 parallel wires, the red and green.
Whatever phones you have just hook across those lines. The line will
normally have less than 15 volts on it,so safe to work on unless someone
dials in and you get the 90 volts of puslating voltage. Probably will
not harm you,but will sure make you jump and hirt yourself.

Be careful using your teeth to strip wires.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since my house has only one telephone line, do I connect only the red and green wires to the telephone jack?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/29/17 6:15 PM, Bob wrote:
Since my house has only one telephone line, do I connect only the red and green wires to the telephone jack?

Yes, connect the red & green.
They are the normal colors used for Line 1.

You *may* want to also connect the yellow & black, in case of some
future need, but you don't have to.