Posted to alt.home.repair

Default plumbing; select one of two water supplies

I want a supply line to source from one of two water mains. I was looking at 'y' valves but the ones found all suggest they are 'marine' type (which does or doesn't make a difference). Is there a common Y valve used in home plumbing?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 4:50:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I want a supply line to source from one of two water mains. I was looking at 'y' valves but the ones found all suggest they are 'marine' type (which does or doesn't make a difference). Is there a common Y valve used in home plumbing?

or two regular valves...
if this is potable water,
you should also probably require one or two backflow prevention valves so one source cannot back-feed to the other.

mark

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2017 5:15 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 4:50:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I want a supply line to source from one of two water mains. I was looking at 'y' valves but the ones found all suggest they are 'marine' type (which does or doesn't make a difference). Is there a common Y valve used in home plumbing?

or two regular valves...
if this is potable water,
you should also probably require one or two backflow prevention valves so one source cannot back-feed to the other.

mark

Only ones I've seen were to divert from one source to two outlets.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#wye-ball-valves/=18yy1sl

I don't know if source selection would be permitted by code with such a
valve as you can get backfeeding from one to the other. You'll probably
have to put in two valves and code would want a backflow preventer too.
We had that system at work for boiler feed from city or well water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to oldyork90, JOrtiz wrote:
I think you must go on with the professionals help. They can give you better
advice.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1141255-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 7:44:12 AM UTC-4, JOrtiz wrote:
replying to oldyork90, JOrtiz wrote:
I think you must go on with the professionals help. They can give you better
advice.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1141255-.htm

Thanks for that helpful tip via HomeMoanersHub.