Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Infuriating Shower Problem

replying to MNP, dengleColorado wrote:
Really a few years late to the party here, but have the same issue. I was
wondering if you found the solution? My shower backs up to a neighbors wall so
no access other than chipping away at the nice tiled shower? The pipes look to
be galvanized as well. How much would it hurt to put a few sprinkles of drano
crystals in there and let it sit for a very short time and see if this works?
Is this even advised?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-534273-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 13, 2017 at 8:14:09 PM UTC-4, dengleColorado wrote:
replying to MNP, dengleColorado wrote:
Really a few years late to the party here, but have the same issue. I was
wondering if you found the solution? My shower backs up to a neighbors wall so
no access other than chipping away at the nice tiled shower? The pipes look to
be galvanized as well. How much would it hurt to put a few sprinkles of drano
crystals in there and let it sit for a very short time and see if this works?
Is this even advised?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...em-534273-.htm

I would try compressed air blown back through the shower head pipe
and out another nearby faucet. Do it on both the hot and cold sides.
I don't know how you're going to bet draino in to a shower pipe with
it pitched in the wrong direction. I guess you could partially unscrew
it half a turn, but you say it's galvanized and I wouldn't be doing
that with old galvanized, that's for sure. Galvanized basically rusts
up from the inside out, gradually clogging itself over many years.
It's why it's no longer used. Using compressed air worked on my shower
recently when I had a flow problem. Mine is all copper, but there
must have been some debris or something in there that got blow clear.

If you have an air compressor you can make up the necessary fitting
from an air hose fitting, a 1/2" coupling and a reducer.