Posted to alt.home.repair

Default I have a craftsman riding mower with a 15 hp engine, peters out and won't run after about 20 min. Of mowing. Its not the gas cap.

It seems like it my kohler command 15 hp craftsman, 426cc, riding mower,
model: CV15S, built between 1995-1998, has a bad coil. I already checked and
tested the gas cap with no improvement. I can start it and mow for about 20 to
25 or 30 minutes and then it rapidly peters out.If I let it sit for a half
hour or more, it will run again for about the same amount of time. I've
looked into web sites and one said my Kohler Command has a gravity fuel feed
system but mine has a fuel pump. It is not a Kohler Courage according to the
info on the engine. When it "stalls" for lack of better terminology, it sounds
like I have moved the throttle slowly down to idle and then shut it off.
Please help. I'm at a loss. Should I get a coil, or is there something that I
should check with the fuel pump or carb? Oh and it does smell somewhat hot
after it quits.
Would appreciate any help. And thanks.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1140828-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 19:44:03 GMT, Jules fredrickson
m wrote:

[...]

That does not sound like a bad coil. Check the spark when it won't
start.
I am guessing a fuel delivery problem. Maybe a bad filter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Heat looks like the main cause and try these.

Check the coil high heat could cause it to shut down.

Old oil will cause over heating.

Something could be partially blocking the flow of air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing Electrical issues. Frayed wires or a seat switch? A
"cracked coil" when heated, expands the cracks to allow moisture in.
Check all wires for abrading, cuts, etc.

If you cut the lawn in a different pattern, it still happens?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 19:44:03 +0000, Jules fredrickson wrote:

[...]

We have a Ransomes ZTR mower at work with a similar Kholer engine on it
and it was doing the same thing. It would mow perfectly fine for awhile
until it got hot and then would loose power.
We also have a Bobcat skidsteer with a Kholer engine in it. Very similar
in size. It would do the same thing. Run fine for awhile then start to
loose power.

We tried everything from changing plugs,wires,fuel pumps,changing oil
coolers,cleaning the carbs and retuning them back to factory spec,fuel
pumps. Turns out on both machines it was the coils that were bad. Had
the dealer install new ones and two years later they still run great.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Aug 2017 00:52:52 -0000 (UTC), wg_2002
wrote:

[...]

Happens on Kawasaki engines too - had one on a John Deere. The little
blighters are expensive too!!! Then it threw a curve ball at me. The
"ignitor" was bad too. Put in the new coil and it worked for a short
time. Then died. Tried another coil. No joy. Replaced the ignitor
(double ouch!!) and it ran. Tried the original coil, no go. Tried the
first replacement - ran fine.

So both components had failed intermittent - just the kind of
situations I LOVE troubleshooting -NOT!!!
Sorry if some expert on the lists percieves this as inaccurate or
wrong. ( may as well appologize before I get caught in error as after)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/17 2:44 PM, Jules fredrickson wrote:
[...]

Ford engines used to die due to bad coils. The engines would
quit after they got warm then restart after they cooled. I don't
remember if they would die suddenly or start missing then die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Aug 2017 20:45:24 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

[...]

They still do - but 1 or 2 cyls at a time. Coil pack went
intermittent on the 2002 Taurus - cost me $1000 in Catalytic
converters.

Sorry if any information is incomplete.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Are Fords still notorious for that? Go figure....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2017 2:44 PM, Jules fredrickson wrote:
[...]

Should it turn out to be a bad coil , instead of replacing it with a
spendy Kohler unit try this . Assuming yours is a twin with a single 2
pole coil w/points ignition , try using a Harley coil for a Shovelhead
motor . It also has 2 poles and is designed for points . My KT17 has
developed a miss probably due to worn points , but the Harley coil is
still going strong after 2+ years .

--

Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Wouldn't say notorious or still. My Taurus is 16 years old and that
was basically the first problem of any consequence.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking about the 1970s or so. A lot of irrigation power
units were 390s, 428s or so. Carburetors and point ignition systems.
There might have been some electronic ignition but I don't remember.
Natural gas and propane fueled.
And we had a one ton truck at work with a 390. It was ok for really
short trips until someone spent a few bucks.