Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT. Solid state relay switching others

Can a solid state relay switch other solid state relays? Anything
to watch other than to wire them up? I didn't spend a lot of time
looking but didn't see an answer to this question. The solid state
relays seemed like an answer to a problem I had to solve.
The switching ssr needs to operate two others. One is a quarter mile
away, the second is a half mile away.

Thanks,
Gentlemen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 8:53:22 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Can a solid state relay switch other solid state relays? Anything
to watch other than to wire them up? I didn't spend a lot of time
looking but didn't see an answer to this question. The solid state
relays seemed like an answer to a problem I had to solve.
The switching ssr needs to operate two others. One is a quarter mile
away, the second is a half mile away.

Thanks, Gentlemen

Who are you calling Gentlemen? I don't see why the solid state relay couldn't switch on other solid state relays. What type of relays are you considering for your project? What voltages and current will you be switching? AC or DC voltages? You might also consider putting lightning protection on your control cable. Another thing you may consider would be wireless control signals to cover the distance. I did a lot of control system work and solid state relays are a mature technology with many choices as to what voltages and current the relays will handle plus what voltages AC or DC will trigger them. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Triggered Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2017 09:53 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Can a solid state relay switch other solid state relays? Anything to
watch other than to wire them up? I didn't spend a lot of time
looking but didn't see an answer to this question. The solid state
relays seemed like an answer to a problem I had to solve.
The switching ssr needs to operate two others. One is a quarter mile
away, the second is a half mile away.

Thanks, Gentlemen

Worst case maybe put a small resistive dummy load on the output of the
switching ssr?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/02/2017 08:53 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Can a solid state relay switch other solid state relays? Anything
to watch other than to wire them up? I didn't spend a lot of time
looking but didn't see an answer to this question. The solid state
relays seemed like an answer to a problem I had to solve.
The switching ssr needs to operate two others. One is a quarter mile
away, the second is a half mile away.

Thanks,
Gentlemen

I have done that in my holiday light control for about 5 years. A small
computer (Arduino) controls 3 small SSRs (switching 12VDC). The load on
the output is a few larger SSRs that switch 120V for the lights.

BTW, "off" is not entirely off. It's close enough that incandescent
lights won't light, but if the load is only small LED lights, they may
no go completely off. I still have a few incandescents.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"By simple common sense, I don't believe in God." -- Charlie Chaplin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2017 03:49 AM, Lowell Mather wrote:

[snip]

Worst case maybe put a small resistive dummy load on the output of the
switching ssr?

For what I have, I didn't need such a load on the first SSRs (the ones
that control others), only on the second SSRs if I just want to switch
LED lights.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"By simple common sense, I don't believe in God." -- Charlie Chaplin
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I need/want to stay under 30 volts for the control voltage. The
code will let us do that without grounding and interlocks on the panels
where the controlled relays are mounted. The reason for the DC is
those seem to be much more common.
Plan A was a master ssr at the center point of an irrigation system.
It would be activated by 12vdc from an irrigation engine located in
the northeast corner of a field. Eighteen hundred feet away give or
take. The masters output would be supplied by 24vdc. The load was
to have been the two slave solid state relays. The first slave
would've been in a well panel straight north of the master about
thirteen hundred feet away. The second slave would've been in a well
panel about thirteen hundred feet west of the first slave.
The slaves would've been switching power to a 480vac three phase
motor starter. They'd have had about 240vac through them.
The supply house sent zero point switching ssrs. Control voltage
is 4-32vdc.
Output 600 vac. I think that might have been a problem with the 3
phase. They didn't work every time, either off or on. I solved that
perceived problem with a 480x120 transformer. The slave ssrs are now
switching single phase 120 going to a mechanical relay. That relay runs
the pump starter.
The problem now is the slaves won't obey the master. My guess was
they don't impose enough of a load on the master. I must be on the
right track judging from the other responses.
Someone else buried the pipe and wire long ago. The wire is 12 uf
with ground. Our customer asked us to make the irrigation system kill
the wells and any failure kill the other three parts of the group.
Three wells are supplying water to one center pivot at a time.
I'm used to mechanical relays, switches, and contactors. Those won't
work due to the voltage drop.
Any ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

(?)?

[...]

I use SSRs a lot. You do need a little bit of a resistive load to make
them turn off reliably but 15w of incandescent light seems to work OK.
Typically they look like a 1000 ohm resistor so at 5v they draw about
5ma. (maybe more like 24ma at 24v) Voltage drop should not be a
problem no matter what tho since the range is so wide. Just for gee
whiz info 12ga wire at 1800 feet carrying a half an amp only drops
3.6v or so.
Just be sure you have clean DC (no ripple). Typical transformer wall
warts suck without adding a fat filter capacitor. but a switcher is
OK.
If you put a lamp (or just a resistor) for a load at the first SSR and
the irrigation for the load at the slaves you should be fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

There are solid state relays that have a wide voltage range to trigger them.. The thing I'd be most worried about is what would happen to your control system when there is a nearby lightning strike. If you're running a very long control cable to low voltage triggered solid state relays, the induced voltage surge on the control cable could burn out your relays. If there is electrical power at your remote pumps, consider wireless control. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.remotecontroltech.com/

[8~{} Uncle Uncontrollable Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I think the lightning problem can be mitigated with some big MOVs
kicking off at 30v or so. Since SSRs are, by there nature, isolation
devices you do not have a direct path. I would also loop the leads
through some big ferrites but other than that it is not a big worry.
Lightning surges are generally common mode transients.
SSRs are cheap and pretty tough. Just keep spares and worry about the
lightning problem when you see it is a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

If I was doing the control lines I'd use what I used to protect telecom lines but there are protectors made for low voltage control cables but I still think a wireless solution should be considered. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.l-com.com/surge-protector...rge-protectors

[8~{} Uncle Surging Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Why would I buy a $40 protector to protect a $10 SSR?
Particularly since you are just protecting a LED
If there was a CMOS front end in there I would worry about it but if
the hit was strong enough to take out a LED, that protector will be
smoking too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/17 7:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Cut a bunch.
There are solid state relays that have a wide voltage range to trigger
them. The thing I'd be most worried about is what would happen to your
control system when there is a nearby lightning strike. If you're
running a very long control cable to low voltage triggered solid state
relays, the induced voltage surge on the control cable could burn out
your relays. If there is electrical power at your remote pumps, consider
wireless control. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.remotecontroltech.com/

[8~{} Uncle Uncontrollable Monster

The last link in this hookup will have to be wireless due to lack
of buried wires.
http://www.valleyirrigation.com/valley-irrigation/us/irrigation-products/pumping-solutions/pump-connect
or http://alturl.com/cv3tb
My bosses sell these so I suppose I'm stuck with them even if
there are a 100 better options. Cost would be a big issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 6:27:00 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

How expensive is it for your company to have to run a service call to repair something damaged by lightning or a power surge? Do you try to protect the equipment at all? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Expensive Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/17 6:56 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 6:27:00 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/4/17 7:27 AM, Uncle Monster wrote: Cut a bunch. There are
[...]

This is a unique situation for us. Solid state stuff is a new
world for me. Distances are usually short enough that we can use
mechanical relays and contactors. We really don't have much problem
with them.
We put 480 volt 3ø lightning arrestors for the incoming power to
the irrigation system sometimes. The system will have some suppressors
factory installed for the 110 volt circuitry. Other than that, no.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 4, 2017 at 7:20:18 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

I'd contact OMRON, tell them of your application and ask for a recommendation. The company has a lot of good information on their website about their SSR products. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.ia.omron.com/support/guid...roduction.html

http://www.ia.omron.com/view/contact/input.cgi

[8~{} Uncle Relay Monster