Posted to alt.home.repair

Default MinWax Polyshades Stain ?

Hello,

Thinking of using that all-in-one MinWax Stain they call Polyshades.
Apparently has the Stain and a Polyurethane overcoat all mixed together.

Have never used before, and not very up to date with stains.

a. General opinion of product ?

b. If after it dries, and I want a bit darker, can I put
another coat on ?

*Would I have to sand the dried coating first ?

c. I, many, many years ago when I last did some staining, I always
used a soft rag. Is that still a good way of using this product ?
(only staining a small piece of wood)

Thanks,
B.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/08/2017 5:56 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thinking of using that all-in-one MinWax Stain they call Polyshades.
Apparently has the Stain and a Polyurethane overcoat all mixed together.

Have never used before, and not very up to date with stains.

a. General opinion of product ?

Worthless; it is terrible about blotching and there's nothing that can
be done to fixup any issues...

Daughter tried it on some kitchen cabinets they'd stripped and they
looked horrible...I figure while on a visit it had to be user error but
many hours later concluded the product was the prime culprit...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2017 6:56 AM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Thinking of using that all-in-one MinWax Stain they call Polyshades.
Apparently has the Stain and a Polyurethane overcoat all mixed together.

Have never used before, and not very up to date with stains.

a. General opinion of product ?

b. If after it dries, and I want a bit darker, can I put
another coat on ?

*Would I have to sand the dried coating first ?

c. I, many, many years ago when I last did some staining, I always
used a soft rag. Is that still a good way of using this product ?
(only staining a small piece of wood)

Thanks,
B.

I'd not use it. If you want a good stain job you have to do it the old
fashioned way. Prepare the surface, brush or rub the stain. Soft woods
usually look better with a pre-conditioner first as it avoids blotching.

If you do use it, yes, some sanding between coats does a better job. I
don't know how much darking you will get. It is more of a tinted
coating than a true stain absorbed into the wood.

IMO, it is made for people that don't care about a fine finish on their
Ikea furniture or are just too lazy to do it right. If this is good
furniture you will want for decades to come, don't do it. If you are
extending the life of something to use while the kid is in school, go
for it.