Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 22 inch toro lawnmower will not start

Hello,
I have a one year old toro smart stow 22 inch lawnmower that stopped working
and will not start.

Checked: cleaned air filter, changed oil, new gas

This is a video of the sound it makes when we attempt to start:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Z...ew?usp=sharing

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1136871-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

"File does not exist" is the message I get when I click on the address you give,

Have you removed the spark plug and checked that there is a spark? If it is flooded with gasoline, you must vent it out to get it to start.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 8:17:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:

"File does not exist" is the message I get when I click on the address you give,

Have you removed the spark plug and checked that there is a spark? If it is flooded with gasoline, you must vent it out to get it to start.

I get the same message when I click on the link he provided.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 9:17:21 PM UTC-4, wrote:
"File does not exist" is the message I get when I click on the address you give,

Have you removed the spark plug and checked that there is a spark? If it is flooded with gasoline, you must vent it out to get it to start.

Same here with the file. Also missing is important info like if it was running then just fine, suddenly quit, etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

L om wrote:
Hello,
I have a one year old toro smart stow 22 inch lawnmower that stopped working
and will not start.
Checked: cleaned air filter, changed oil, new gas
This is a video of the sound it makes when we attempt to start:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Z...ew?usp=sharing
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1136871-.htm

Did it seem like it was out of balance when it was running before? There is an aluminum key on the shaft that can break and the mower won't start. It's for if you hit a rock or stump it will break before the mower is damaged. Since the key is aluminum it doesn't always take much for it to break. I knew someone who threw away a fairly new mower and bought a new one because he didn't know about those keys. They are fairly easy to replace, by taking off the shroud where the cord or crank is on top of the motor. If you have an electric starter it might be a little more difficult.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to L G, L G wrote:
Sorry about the link - here it is again:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...3loVWpSRklDWUk

It was running fine and then stalled. I checked air filter and it was dirty so
I cleaned out dirt and it started again then it stalled again and I couldn't
get it to start back up.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1136871-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 00:14:02 GMT, L G
m wrote:

Hello,
I have a one year old toro smart stow 22 inch lawnmower that stopped working
and will not start.

Checked: cleaned air filter, changed oil, new gas

This is a video of the sound it makes when we attempt to start:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7Z...ew?usp=sharing

Did you hit anything substantial with the mower blade prior the engine
stalling? It could have happened immediately before or even during
recent past mowing sessions. If so, you could have a broken flywheel
key, which isn't as bad as it sounds, read about it he

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8whgnLsTq8

Also, you can try removing the air filter and spraying a little
starting fluid into the intake of the carburetor, then, try starting
it. If it starts then dies, you probably have a vacuum leak, which
could be anything from a cracked plastic primer bulb to a loose
carburetor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

You don't need to go out and buy starting fluid.

Just dripping a little gas into the carb may do this as well. Use a
drinking straw - immerse a few inches of the end into your gas, cover
the other end with your finger, then move the gas end over the carb
opening (filter removed) and release your finger to drop the gas into
the carb. If it then starts but quickly dies, you likely have a plugged
carb jet or the vacuum leak.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 07 Jul 2017 12:14:04 GMT, L G
m wrote:

replying to L G, L G wrote:
Sorry about the link - here it is again:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7...3loVWpSRklDWUk

It was running fine and then stalled. I checked air filter and it was dirty so
I cleaned out dirt and it started again then it stalled again and I couldn't
get it to start back up.

If the carb is a "sure start" sp type. It might be the
linkage/spring -- bent a little. If so, the choke won't work as
intended.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Agree with the above. Starting ether is better, but gas should
work too. In the video, it's not firing. The other simple test
is to remove the sparkplug, reconnect it to the wire, ground it
to the engine or mower frame (you can use some jumper cables or maybe a vice-grip),
then try to start it where it's dark enough to see if you get a spark at the plug gap. It's likely either lacking gas or ignition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Desert Dweller, LR147 wrote:
Thanks for that info. I'll check on that. It's possible I hit a branch or 2.
It did start again after the 1st stall out no problem but the 2nd time it just
wouldn't start at all. Maybe it was compromised the 1st time and just snapped
the 2nd time

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1136871-.htm