Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair

Default Wal-Mart battery Scam

In rec.autos.tech, on 5 Jul 2017 09:05:54 -0400, (Scott
Dorsey) wrote:

But this time he got his money back and he told them people at Wal-Mart th=
at he not know what kind of scam they are running, and he told them he woul=
dn't ever be back to shop in there store again..

This is Wal-Mart, it's not a high end battery wholesaler. They don't care
about customer service. They sell special batteries that are designed to be
as cheap as possible and look like standard commercial batteries but aren't.

Another interesting thing.

I noticed a while back that a roll of Gorilla Tape was 50 cents cheaper
at Home Depot than at Walmart.

But today i was looking for Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid+4.** I
found few listings for it, but one was in West Chester Pa., not far from
me, for 7 dollars a quart. Walmart had a 3rd party vendor whose location
I could not determine for $12.17 a quart. !!

So my point is that like other stores that emphasize price, once they
convince people that they are cheaper than other places, they don't have
to be cheaper anymore, and sometimes are much more expensive.

Mopar® Part # at
Quadratic: 68218057AA at 7.00
Walmart: .68218057AB, at 12.17 so the B must cost $5.17!!
Amazon: 5013457AA at 11.64
OEM Part Number 05013457AA
Item model number 68218057AA
Manufacturer Part # 68218057AA so it's the same thing too.

I wonder what a Chrysler dealer would charge.

Neither Mopar ad at Quatdratic or Walmart says it's synthetic, like
Pennzoil and Castrol say on the bottle, though Amazon lets you enlarge
the picture of the bottle and see that it does say synthetic.

**Separate question: Is this any better for a Chrysler than Pennzoil or
Castrol, the only two brands other than house brands that I can walk in
and buy at the 3 stores just down the street from me?

Somehow I have the feeling that Castrol isn't really a top-notch brand,
but I can't remember why I think that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dorsey) wrote:

But this time he got his money back and he told them people at Wal-Mart th=
at he not know what kind of scam they are running, and he told them he woul=
dn't ever be back to shop in there store again..

This is Wal-Mart, it's not a high end battery wholesaler. They don't care
about customer service. They sell special batteries that are designed to be
as cheap as possible and look like standard commercial batteries but aren't.

Another interesting thing.

I noticed a while back that a roll of Gorilla Tape was 50 cents cheaper
at Home Depot than at Walmart.

Wow, imagine that.

But today i was looking for Mopar Automatic Transmission Fluid+4.** I
found few listings for it, but one was in West Chester Pa., not far from
me, for 7 dollars a quart. Walmart had a 3rd party vendor whose location
I could not determine for $12.17 a quart. !!

So my point is that like other stores that emphasize price, once they
convince people that they are cheaper than other places, they don't have
to be cheaper anymore, and sometimes are much more expensive.

I don't think Walmart or any other store ever said they will have the lowest prices on everything. And you're confusing Walmart price's for products in their store or from them online, with third party sellers that they list there too.

MoparĀ® Part # at
Quadratic: 68218057AA at 7.00
Walmart: .68218057AB, at 12.17 so the B must cost $5.17!!
Amazon: 5013457AA at 11.64
OEM Part Number 05013457AA
Item model number 68218057AA
Manufacturer Part # 68218057AA so it's the same thing too.

I wonder what a Chrysler dealer would charge.

Neither Mopar ad at Quatdratic or Walmart says it's synthetic, like
Pennzoil and Castrol say on the bottle, though Amazon lets you enlarge
the picture of the bottle and see that it does say synthetic.

**Separate question: Is this any better for a Chrysler than Pennzoil or
Castrol, the only two brands other than house brands that I can walk in
and buy at the 3 stores just down the street from me?

Somehow I have the feeling that Castrol isn't really a top-notch brand,
but I can't remember why I think that.

I'm sure you can have endless debate on the virtues of one brand versus another. There are specs for the various fluid that all the providers must meet. As long as it meets the spec and it's from a recognized brand, that works for me. And the closer the car is to a clunker with an oil leak, the more acceptable a cheap house brand that meets the spec becomes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dorsey) wrote:

[...]

Of course they don't say it, but they do things to give that impression.

And you're confusing Walmart price's for products in their store or from them online, with third party sellers that they list there too.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm reporting; you're confusing.

[...]

I appreciate your effort but there is meeting the spec and there is
exceeding the spec or excelling in some way not covered by the spec.
And the car is nowwhere near clunker or I wouldn't thave asked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dorsey) wrote:

[...]

So, you don't see any difference between what Walmart actually stocks and sells themselves in huge volume and the online market they have where all kinds of outside vendors, most of them small, sell their other products? You really expect to get the same world class Walmart pricing on a product where some vendor sells 200 a year? You're complaining because a product that Walmart apparently doesn't carry but is available from another vendor that sells on their website, costs more than you'd expect from an actual Walmart product.

MoparĀ® Part # at
[...]

Like I said, feel free to have that debate with someone else. You'll find its almost all personal opinion, devoid of any real test data. The overwhelming test data available is usually that the product meets the manufacturer's spec. I didn't say your car was a clunker either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dorsey) wrote:

[...]

Here ya go...some light reading. ;-)

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 5, 2017 at 10:24:09 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

So my point is that like other stores that emphasize price, once they
convince people that they are cheaper than other places, they don't have
to be cheaper anymore, and sometimes are much more expensive.

You just figured this out? Well done. Keep at it.